PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Look-up for Sylvanus DUNN

June
28-10-2004, 1:37 AM
Unfortunately there is no provision for purchasing certificates in Aussie Dollars from the Durham Council website. I have ascertained that Si/ylvanus Dunn was 6 years old on the Durham 1851 Census - and showed as being born in Broomside. Is anybody able to help me with a look up for this. I would very much like to find his parents.
Hopefully,
June

Diane Grant-Salmon
28-10-2004, 8:15 AM
Hello June,

I just had a look at Durham CC site and found that Silvanus DUNN's birth was in 1845 Durham Central ....... this will give anybody willing to do a look-up for you, a little more info.

There is this site, where you can search for free, but a minimum charge of £5 to view the pages in order to get the birth ref.number you need to order the cert.

If someone has a few credits to spare, maybe they could do the look-up for you? To be honest, I'm not sure if this site accepts Aussie $ ....... perhaps someone else can answer that question.

You could have a look yourself to see if they do:

http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

June
28-10-2004, 11:30 PM
May I thank you both for the help you have offered in my search for the parents of Silvanus Dunn....he has been a brick wall for a long time.
I couldn't be sure what the letter was after 'Durham' either....it looked rather like a 'V' but could also have been 'v' indicating '5'....
June

Diane Grant-Salmon
29-10-2004, 9:10 AM
Hello June,

Glad to be of help, even though I only gave you half the information ...... I missed out that 1837. com ONLY gave you a link to buy certs online! :o

I am very lucky to have Mythology as a mate and he supplied all the missing info for you, plus the GRO Ref you need. :)

However, when he phoned me to tell me that he'd answered your question, he did say that I shouldn't be leaving hints to him in my message to you, for him to do your look-up for you! :D

We had a good laugh about this, I told him that was not my intention ...... but I don't think he believed me! ;)

Who said Genealogy was boring? How can it be, when you 'meet' like-minded, helpful people and can have a laugh at the same time?

June
29-10-2004, 10:58 PM
You are very right Diane - boring it is not, frustrating sometimes, but very gratifying at others....anyway I am grateful to both of you for your help .
and I like the sound of Mythology too .
Good hunting,
June

June
28-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately there is no provision for purchasing certificates in Aussie Dollars from the Durham Council website. I have ascertained that Si/ylvanus Dunn was 6 years old on the Durham 1851 Census - and showed as being born in Broomside. Is anybody able to help me with a look up for this. I would very much like to find his parents.
Hopefully,
June

I would like to add to this because with the help of the people who responded I have now in my possession the 1851 census entry for Sylvanus Dunn. After quite some frustrating time I now know his parents - and as an added bonus, it has enabled me to make contact with one of the descendants of a sibling that I didn't know about until now.
My thanks to all of you and have a Very Happy and Fruitfull New Year.

June