PDA

View Full Version : ww1 Diary-1915-1917- Handwritten Any interest?

K,G,Sibly
26-03-2006, 7:46 PM
I have in my possession a hand written Diary (1915-1917). At the moment I am typing it out into a more readable form. Anyone interested or any ideas of who might be interested in it or any suggestions as to who I could contact? It is covering the Service of Pte.H.H. Humphrey of R.A.M.C. 43 Field Ambulance during the period 1915-1917 and makes very interesting reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Neil Wilson
26-03-2006, 8:03 PM
Hi
Not sure which area/location you are refering to, but the Derbyshire Record Office is selling a booklet by a crewman from HMS New Zealand 1913 - 1919.
Once you have finsihed transcribing, you could approach you local Record Office or FHS regarding the publication of the diary or put on to the web for all to view.
All the best with your project,
Neil

pwenlock
26-03-2006, 8:05 PM
How about donating it to the Army Medical Services Museum? They hold all the RAMC records & can be contacted at

The Curator
AMS Museum
Keogh Barracks
Ash Vale
Aldershot
GU12 5RQ

Tel: 01252 340320

Yours aye
Paul

marymog
26-03-2006, 9:44 PM
I have in my possession a hand written Diary (1915-1917). At the moment I am typing it out into a more readable form. Anyone interested or any ideas of who might be interested in it or any suggestions as to who I could contact? It is covering the Service of Pte.H.H. Humphrey of R.A.M.C. 43 Field Ambulance during the period 1915-1917 and makes very interesting reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi
My grandfather was in the AMC in the WW1, I would be very interested in reading it. Unfortunately My Grandad didn't leave a diary, so I know very little about what it was like. He died just after I was born so I have never had the chance to ask him.

mm

K,G,Sibly
26-03-2006, 9:49 PM
Hello Neil and Paul, Many thanks for your prompt reply which is very much appreciated.I will look into both your suggestions and keep you in touch with events.I was thinking of the Web as one of my options but am not sure 'How to go about it' I am doing a computer course and 'Web Page-Internet' is one of the modules,so your idea Neil might be good. Also writing to the address Paul has suggested is another option I will be taking. The place names mentioned in the diary (so far) are Ypres and Poperinghe. It is only when one reads about the first hand accounts of events that you realize the terrible happenings these men went through.
Many names are mentioned in the diary, such as:-C.O. Major Vaughn "looks a decent sort of bloke" arriving while Lieut Colonel Fox "prepares to leave".
Once again Many thanks- if you can think of anything else that will help me I would be pleased to hear from you. Kind Regards to you both. K G S

K,G,Sibly
26-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi
My grandfather was in the AMC in the WW1, I would be very interested in reading it. Unfortunately My Grandad didn't leave a diary, so I know very little about what it was like. He died just after I was born so I have never had the chance to ask him.

mm
When I have finished typing out the Diary you would be most welcome to read it. I will keep in touch via this B B Board and arrange to send you a copy ,perhaps through exchanging addresses via e-mail? Kind Regards K.G.S.

pwenlock
27-03-2006, 8:10 AM
Hi KGS

Would also love to see some quotes on this forum too if you have the time to post them

Paul

AnnB
27-03-2006, 8:17 AM
The Imperial War Museum would probably be interested :) http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Best wishes
Ann

Colin Moretti
27-03-2006, 9:36 AM
You could also try the Imperial War Museum. They were very pleased to receive a WW2 diary passed on by a relative of mine.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/
Here's their guide to donating items:
http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00g00f

Colin

Neil Wilson
27-03-2006, 7:00 PM
I was thinking of the Web as one of my options but am not sure 'How to go about it' I am doing a computer course and 'Web Page-Internet' is one of the modules,so your idea Neil might be good. . K G S
Hi K G S
It is fairly easy to put data on to a web site, the problem lies with deciding on which software to use and what type of site. This forum has many different views on this. I started off using Word 2000 and saving as a web page. I now use FrontPage and am webmaster to 6 sites, some I have designed and others I maintain. Also I use a file transfer program FTP to publish pages to the sites, but this can be done from the software which you use for creating the web pages.
Good luck
Neil

K,G,Sibly
28-03-2006, 8:26 PM
You could also try the Imperial War Museum. They were very pleased to receive a WW2 diary passed on by a relative of mine.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/
Here's their guide to donating items:
http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00g00f

Colin
Many thanks for your reply. It is interesting to see that a relative of yours also wrote a Diary,(W W 11) Did you keep a record of it before you donated same to the Imperial War Museum? This 1915-1917 Diary was written by my husband's uncle, and includes quite detailed accounts of his time in the Field Ambulance during this time.
Donating it to the I.W. Museum is certainly a good option, however before I decide to do this I will explore other options available to reach a wider audience. Many thanks once again..also to Ann for her suggestion -- Kind Regards Kath.

K,G,Sibly
28-03-2006, 8:45 PM
Many thanks for your reply, I will keep in touch with you via this B B Board. I will also be looking at your Web Pages and 'get back' to you.This option sounds very interesting because a 'wider' audience would be able to read Pte Humphery's account of events during that period, before taking up the other option of donating it to the Imperial War Museum.

Kind Regards-- Kath

K,G,Sibly
28-03-2006, 9:06 PM
Hi KGS

Would also love to see some quotes on this forum too if you have the time to post them

Paul
I was thinking of starting a 'new' thread with Quotes from this Diary- and asking for any comments --a 'sort of Idle Chat' thread. What do you think of this idea? or should I just continue this thread and add Quotes that I think might be interesting to members? Kind Regards Kath

Colin Moretti
28-03-2006, 9:47 PM
... It is interesting to see that a relative of yours also wrote a Diary,(W W 11) Did you keep a record of it before you donated same to the Imperial War Museum? ...The relative made a transcript, it was her uncle's diary; I don't have a copy.

Colin

K,G,Sibly
29-03-2006, 9:48 PM
The relative made a transcript, it was her uncle's diary; I don't have a copy.

Colin
This (WW 11)Diary belonged to my husband's uncle.I am also trying to research his life after the 1918 war. I will eventually be donating it to the Imperial War Museum. Thank you once again for your help and courtesy of a reply. Kind Regards Kath.

sandiep
30-03-2006, 12:17 AM
would be lovely to be able to look at a transcript of the diaries as hubbies grandfather was in RAMC during that period......Samuel John Raphael.... just thought I would mention name in case you came accross it...........but the diaries would paint a picture of what life was like for them...........so would love to be told if you put them online

sandie

K,G,Sibly
30-03-2006, 7:45 PM
would be lovely to be able to look at a transcript of the diaries as hubbies grandfather was in RAMC during that period......Samuel John Raphael.... just thought I would mention name in case you came accross it...........but the diaries would paint a picture of what life was like for them...........so would love to be told if you put them online

sandie
Hello Sandie, There has been quite alot of interest shown in Pte.H.H.Humphrrey's Diary. It will be a pleasure to post some quotes from it. It has been written in pencil and is quite hard to decipher in places so is taking me longer to type than I at first thought.
I haven't come across Samual John Raphael's name yet but will bear it in mind--as I go-- One quote --"the Din was terrific --it was Hell with the lid off--After it quietened down we went to Sanctuary Wood for the patients---"
Will keep in touch with my friends on the B.B.Board about the Diary. Kind Regards Kath

sandiep
30-03-2006, 7:50 PM
thanks Kath, will keep alook out first for a Lady with short stubby fingers and very thick glasses!! and then for the diaries

happy typing sandie

K,G,Sibly
30-03-2006, 9:37 PM
thanks Kath, will keep alook out first for a Lady with short stubby fingers and very thick glasses!! and then for the diaries

happy typing sandie
I love your sense of humour-- I've got the glasses (which keep slipping on my nose with perspiration) and the fingers are definately getting shorter!! Will keep in touch. Kind Regards Kath.

John Duncan
01-09-2006, 9:19 AM
I have a particular interest in the RAMC as my Grandfather was in 102nd Field Ambulance for most of the war and would be interested in the contents, as would a friend of mine Barabara who is the process of setting up a website dedicated to the RAMC in the Great War.

K,G,Sibly
01-09-2006, 1:41 PM
I have a particular interest in the RAMC as my Grandfather was in 102nd Field Ambulance for most of the war and would be interested in the contents, as would a friend of mine Barabara who is the process of setting up a website dedicated to the RAMC in the Great War.
Hello John, You must be telepathic!!-- I am in the process of creating a Web-page for Horace's diary and was thinking of posting further threads on this subject.
If you have any information that I am able to use I would be pleased to hear from you.
Could your friend Barbara get in touch with me because it would be such a shame if we duplicated our Sites!! Maybe we could pool our ideas or find out if we are both doing the same thing.
At the moment I am halfway through 'writing up' the Diary and will let you know of my progress via the Forum.
There are a number of people who are interested in reading his Diary, so when the web-site is finally set-up I will post the details.
Hope you keep in touch-as I will do.--Kath

Dannemois
02-06-2008, 7:02 PM
Hi
I am at present researching a Capt Martin of the RAMC who was KIA 16 Feb 1917 whilst on attachment with the Worcestershire Regiment 9th Bn. I too would like to read a copy of your diary, it should give an interesting insight to the RAMC in WW1
Regards
Roy

K,G,Sibly
03-06-2008, 9:44 AM
Hi
I am at present researching a Capt Martin of the RAMC who was KIA 16 Feb 1917 whilst on attachment with the Worcestershire Regiment 9th Bn. I too would like to read a copy of your diary, it should give an interesting insight to the RAMC in WW1
Regards
Roy
Hello Roy,
I have managed to create a web-site for Pte. Horace's (RAMC)Diary with added pages including information and photographs Re- POW 'Westphalia' Camps sent to me from interested viewers.
The Web-site address is:-

www.freewebs.com/hhhumphrey

I am sure you will find this interesting reading and give you an insight to the RAMC. If you have any information regarding Capt. Martin of the RAMC and you would like me to include it on this site I would be most interested to hear from you.
I look forward to hearing from you--Regards Kath

Mary Anne
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Kath

Good work on your website!

You might also like to cross-post on The Great War Forum. Lots of folks there who I am sure would be interested in Private Humphrey's diary. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Mary Anne

K,G,Sibly
03-06-2008, 1:56 PM
Kath

Good work on your website!

You might also like to cross-post on The Great War Forum. Lots of folks there who I am sure would be interested in Private Humphrey's diary. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Mary Anne
Many thanks for your kind comments and suggestion. I have just cross-posted on the Great War Forum and hopefully may receive more information Re- Westphalia POW Camps in particular.--Kind Regards--Kath

www.freewebs.com/hhhumphrey/

Dannemois
18-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Hello Roy,
I have managed to create a web-site for Pte. Horace's (RAMC)Diary with added pages including information and photographs Re- POW 'Westphalia' Camps sent to me from interested viewers.
The Web-site address is:-

www.freewebs.com/hhhumphrey

I am sure you will find this interesting reading and give you an insight to the RAMC. If you have any information regarding Capt. Martin of the RAMC and you would like me to include it on this site I would be most interested to hear from you.
I look forward to hearing from you--Regards Kath

Hi Kath
What a wonderful read and what a pity other soldiers didn't follow Pte Horaces example and leave behind a first hand account of their war time experiences. Thoroughly enjoyed your site, will get back to you on Dr Martin

Regards Roy

pipsqueak
18-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi
Not sure which area/location you are refering to, but the Derbyshire Record Office is selling a booklet by a crewman from HMS New Zealand 1913 - 1919.
Once you have finsihed transcribing, you could approach you local Record Office or FHS regarding the publication of the diary or put on to the web for all to view.
All the best with your project,
Neil

Neil, do you have a link to where I can find that booklet? My grandfather served on that ship when it was being delivered to New Zealand in 1913.

Neil Wilson
18-06-2008, 6:17 PM
Neil, do you have a link to where I can find that booklet? My grandfather served on that ship when it was being delivered to New Zealand in 1913.
Hi Pipsqueak
Took a bit of finding after 2+ years, but it is still advertised as being available by the record office, see http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/news_events/news/2006/january/derbyshire_wwi_naval_diary_revealed.asp for ordering information.

pipsqueak
18-06-2008, 6:58 PM
Thank you Neil - I forgot to notice when the thread was started! As a newbie here all the threads are now to me!

Guy Etchells
18-06-2008, 7:06 PM
I transcribed my Uncles letters from the front (diary) and put them online about ten years ago see.
http://
freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells/WarDiaries.htm

This might give you a few ideas.
Cheers
Guy

sandiep
18-06-2008, 8:58 PM
great reading Guy,

sandie