PDA

View Full Version : French Family in Tring

Tambo2202
26-03-2006, 5:43 AM
Hi,

I am an Australian researching a surname in my family: FRENCH
I have a descendent named Benjamin French who emigrated to Australia sometime before 1857 as a miner. Through various birth certs, marriage certs, and death certs I have been able to find that he was born in Tring, Herefordshire, though this is sometimes listed as Buckinghamshire. His parents have always been listed as unknown.
I have found a FRENCH family listed in the 1851 Census as being born in Tring and then moving to Wingrave Buckinghamshire, although Benjamin was not listed with this family.
I have been unable to locate Benjamin, he was born in the early 1830s. I have not been able to view an 1841 census.

I would appreciate any help on this one!

Thanks,

Tammie

ElaineMaul
26-03-2006, 8:32 AM
Hi Tammie,

I do hope you meant that Benjamin was an ancestor rather than a descendant ....... otherwise that makes you a seriously advanced age <vb grin>

Tring is in Hertfordshire, not Herefordshire ....... not all that far from me!

I had a little look on the 1851 census (via ancestry.co.uk) ...... I also don't have access to the 1841 census ..... and there is a FRENCH family in Wolverton in Buckinghamshire with a Benjamin aged 16. None of the family are listed as being born in TRING. However, I did try an exact match just searching for any Benjamins born in Tring for the year 1832 +- 5 years and it found very few, and no one with a name anything like FRENCH.

The ref is HO107/1737 F243 Pg23 ...... the writing is a little poor so I'm finding it a little difficult to work out exactly where they say they ARE born .... they are all Buckinghamshire places mind you. In fact, all the writing is a little hard to decipher .... I've got to go at the moment but can try later if you like (or if no one gets there before me!!)
Elaine

Tambo2202
26-03-2006, 8:45 AM
Oops! Ancestor is the word! Trying to write with a couple of kids running around me gets me off track sometimes!

Hertfordshire is the one, so I have posted this in the wrong place!
I'll post it in the correct place name as well as here.
I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Tammie