PDA

View Full Version : Saxthorpe/Corpusty

terrier
02-10-2004, 6:48 PM
Lots of info on these twin villages and the people in them c1800+. I am willing to help where I can.

Rothwell
21-03-2005, 9:52 PM
I am currently trying to find information about some of my ancerstors who lived in the parishes of Corpusty & Saxthorpe in the 1820s. My Great Great Great Grandfather was a George Hill, son of James & Esther, bapt at Corpusty in 1820 and his wife was Emily Shore. I believe Emily would have been bapt at Saxthorpe c1824/25. Info I am seeking would be marriage of George and Emily, Baptism/Marriage of James & Esther and anything relating to the Emily Shore's parents/family.

Any information would be most welcome.

Rothwell (South Yorks)

terrier
28-03-2005, 11:14 AM
replied off list.

coenmfam
08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I was wondering if you have any info on Edgefield being only a hop, skip and a jump from Saxthorpe & Corpusty and being in the Corpusty ward.

regards
Neville

terrier
08-05-2005, 3:04 PM
Hi Neville,

Edgefield most certainly is just a hop, skip and a jump from the villages. If you tell me what you are looking for I will see what I can do - i do have some Parish Register transcripts for the village.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Geoffers
08-05-2005, 5:40 PM
I was wondering if you have any info on Edgefield being only a hop, skip and a jump from Saxthorpe & Corpusty and being in the Corpusty ward.
You've already had an answer, but in case you don't know, there are many online maps to help you locate places with which you are unfamiliar.

A couple are:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
and
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Older maps from the 1880's are also available online
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/welcome.htm
these ahve the added advantage that they have links to modern maps and aerial photos.

Geoffers

coenmfam
09-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks Geoffers, I will check out those links. I already have a few older maps of Edgefield and surrounding districts but the more the merrier.

I am actually more interested in names and to some extent a little of the history of Edgefield as my family were living there for about 200 years ( mid 1600s to mid 1800's ). I am interested in things like, what was the main industry if any of the town or area, what was the approx population, How many discreet families were in the town, etc

The names I am interested in are mainly anyone with the last name Coe, and to a lesser extent for those whose lines cross mine, Chapman.

regards
Neville Coe

terrier
09-05-2005, 6:20 AM
Ok Neville, I will have a look later in the week and see what I have on those names.

Thanks Geoffers, I will check out those links. I already have a few older maps of Edgefield and surrounding districts but the more the merrier.

I am actually more interested in names and to some extent a little of the history of Edgefield as my family were living there for about 200 years ( mid 1600s to mid 1800's ). I am interested in things like, what was the main industry if any of the town or area, what was the approx population, How many discreet families were in the town, etc

The names I am interested in are mainly anyone with the last name Coe, and to a lesser extent for those whose lines cross mine, Chapman.

regards
Neville Coe

Geoffers
09-05-2005, 8:48 AM
I am actually more interested in names and to some extent a little of the history of Edgefield
Fair enough, I was just answering the specific question.
Genuki is often a good place to begin:
http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/

There are a few photos on:
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/documents.php?register_id=192&district_id=2&document_type=10100
(Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge them).

Archive CD Books sell a good number of Norfolk Directories which provide a useful precis of each place named - and census returns will tell you where most locals worked. Edgefield is a village rather than a town, the 1851 census transcript shows it had a population of 663 in 163 properties, including:

28 Farmers, 140 Ag.labs/outdoor labs, 4 Shepherds, 1 Cattle dealer, 1 Drover, 1 Groom., 1 Mole trap maker, 2 Fishermen, 2 Carter/Carriers

21 House servants, 5 dressmakers, 6 bricklayers, 4 bakers/Grocers, 2 Inkeepers (1 also a farmer), 1 barber, 7 Blacksmiths, 5 Broommakers, 2 teachers, 1 Recotr, 1 Celrk, 1 Gunsmith, 1 Cooper, 2 Limeburners, 1 Policeman,
1 Land Agent. 1 House Proprietor.

You could compare this with earlier and later census to get an idea of the changes during the 19th century. That's a start using records which you can easily access, if you need some other ideas, let me know.

Geoffers

coenmfam
09-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Oooooh now that is very interesting - thanks Geoffers - I really do appreciate your help.
I will print that off and keep it under lock and key.
Now I wonder what the population of edgefield was in the 1700's, whether it was higher or lower..... I suspect higher but does anyone know where I would find out. And BTW what is a Recotr ???

The reason I'm interested in this avenue of research is that I have a number of females that Married ?? but to whom ?, so I am trying to get a list of names in the district and search on the LDS site and see if I can pick up any clues by looking for husbands first. I downloaded the available names from www.genealogy.doun.org and put them into a spreadsheet to build a list of mainly surnames from 1730 to 1767 ( of hopefully eligible young bachelors ).

For instance in the years 1730 to 1755 ( which is where I'm up to ) there were ...
24 Dagless, 14 Dybals, 6 Knights, 5 Chapmans and 2 Lemons born however I'm aware that there were names missing as some of my Coes are missing but it does give me a list of surnames to work with ( If anyone is interested in the spreadsheet let me know and I'll e-mail it off ).

Thanks for the help
regards
Neville

coenmfam
09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
And I'm really curious, just what kind of fishermen would be living in Edgefield in 1851, Fresh water Trout ??? or would they possibly have worked out of one of the ports .....
just curious.

regards
Neville

Geoffers
09-05-2005, 1:02 PM
Now I wonder what the population of edgefield was in the 1700's, whether it was higher or lower..... I suspect higher but does anyone know where I would find out.I've used a couple of methods to determine roughly the population size of a parish - these are not my own invetion, but methods of which I have read and which provide what appear to be reasonable estimates.

In the Michaelmas 1664 Hearth Tax returns there were 61 households paying tax. If you muliply this by roughly 4.25 - 4.5 (size of household), then you come out with a population of around 250-270.

The Compton Census of 1676 records 200 conformist communicants and 20 non-conformist. There is discussion on the extent of the census in the book of the subject, edited by Anne Whitman - this suggests that those under 16 may have been omitted. If this is the case then a population of around 300-340 may be suggested for 1676.

An alternative method is to take the total number of baptisms recorded over a period of 10 years and multiply this by 3 - though I believe that this multiplier does seem more inaccurate and liable to local variation. For Edgefield, 1730-39 there were 74 baptisms in the 8 years recorded for the Archdeacon's Transcripts. Using the average per year, this comes out at 92 for the decade and a population of approx 270-280-ish.

The total population of the parish is likely to have remained fairly stable until the middle of the 18th century, following which there would probably have been a gradual increase until the second half of the 19th century.

continued....

Geoffers
09-05-2005, 1:03 PM
...part 2

And BTW what is a Recotr ???You'll find this occupation quite commonly referred to since the invention of the typewriter - it is often followed by earthy expletives showing the typist to be a founder member of the Society for the Propogation of Basic English.

Reoctr et var. is more normally spelt Rector.

I downloaded the available names from www.genealogy.doun.org (http://www.genealogy.doun.org/) and put them into a spreadsheet to build a list of mainly surnames from 1730 to 1767 ( of hopefully eligible young bachelors ).......however I'm aware that there were names missing as some of my Coes are missingAll entries for a year from the ATs are included in the NTA website. However, it may be worth looking at the Parish Registers as these sometimes differ. Some parishes in NE Norfolk, in the second quarter of the 18th century underwent some change for which I have yet to find an explanation. This seems to have resulted in several established local families moving, or being missed from the registers, to reappear in the second half of the 18th century.

Geoffers

Geoffers
09-05-2005, 1:11 PM
And I'm really curious, just what kind of fishermen would be living in Edgefield in 1851, Fresh water Trout ??? or would they possibly have worked out of one of the ports .....
just curious.
I'd suggest that they were freshwater fishermen, working either the River Glaven or the becks running down to the Bure and quite possibly catching eels near the local mill;

http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Watermills/edgefield.html

Geoffers

coenmfam
09-05-2005, 1:29 PM
I wondered after I posted whether they might be eels. You see I used to live in a town called Eltham, New Zealand and across a valley where we lived, lived a guy who travelled all over the North Island of NZ catching eels and used to put them into huge sacks and when he returned home, the sacks would go into the stream that flowed through this little valley, keeping the eels alive before taking them to the factory in the next town Stratford up the road.

But of course to be profitable he had to travel long distances ( 4 -5 hours by car ) so I wonder how far they would have in those days ( 1700s- 1800s ) I'm assuming they would have needed permission perhaps to travel .....

And re Recotr LOL I'm often doing that myself, and occasionaly one slips through when my wife doesn't proof read my posts.

cheers
Neville

PS Thanks for that link to the WaterMill - fascinating

Geoffers
09-05-2005, 1:49 PM
But of course to be profitable he had to travel long distances ( 4 -5 hours by car ) so I wonder how far they would have in those days ( 1700s- 1800s ) I'm assuming they would have needed permission perhaps to travel .....
You might be surprised at the distances covered on foot, for example:

From Blickling Parish Register:
"Mr Sheldrake SMYTH (losing his way in ye night from N. Walsham market) was drowned in ye river between Ingworth and Blickling buried March 8 1752."

Blickling to North Walsham is about 7 miles by the shortest route (heading across fields to Ingworth and then going through Banningham).

Workers wouldn't need permission to travel in the 18th century, the question is more whether they'd want or need to? From Edgefield, I'd gues that there may have been the trudge up to Holt for the annual Hiring Market.

If you like the Mills website, you should also try that other staple of local life:
http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/index.htm
Click on Norfolk, then 'E' and 'Edgefield.

Geoffers

coenmfam
16-05-2005, 6:45 AM
Just a quick thank-you to Nancy ( Terrier ) for that info
much appreciated
and of course to Geoffers
the page on the watermills was fascinating
the page on the pubs only made me thirsty LOL
Sad to see so many old and historic buildings
falling into disrepair

Neville

robbieuk
05-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Brand new to this forum...and very pleased to find my family already represented (Hills of Corpusty).

I have been tracing my ancestors in Norfolk for over 15 years and have lots of family trees for the parishes mentioned here.

If any of you are interested in Edgefield shepherds (sorry no fishermen in my tree) then the Jackson family tended flocks for several generations.

My cousin's book 'A History of Corpusty & Saxthorpe' (author Janet Wilson) is a mine of information on the locality, concentrating on the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Best regards,
Rob

coenmfam
05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Actually if you could throw any light on the industry of the town and surrounds of Edgefield during the 1600's through to the 1800's I would be much appreciative. I have two boot/shoe makers in my lot but that was mid 1800's and they had moved from Edgefield by then .....

BTW do you know the ISBN of that book, it will make tracking it down easier.

Nev

robbieuk
05-10-2005, 1:26 PM
I would hazrd a guess that Edgefield was a reasonably typical rural Norfolk parish what relied on agriculture, with the numerousn tradesmen this supported (from bootmakers, carpenters and tailors to farriers, glaziers and strawhatmakers).

Perhaps someone better qualified can shed light on general rurual Norfolk socio-economic history?

The Corpusty book: I will have to check where/if it's available any more. My cousin was the sole outlet and she died last year. I know she still had a few copies unsold but I will have to ask what happened to them.

In the meantime, if there's a name or individual you'd liek me to look up, let me know.

Rob

coenmfam
06-10-2005, 1:13 AM
well on behalf of myself and one or two others after the same ....
Any info about Coes and Chapmans in the Edgefield area would be most appreciated ( there were at least four marriages between a Coe and a Chapman in the space of about 70 yrs ).
And info about the town and the Water Mill to the north of the town wouldn't go astray either.

regards
Nev