PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect date on Death Certificate

Diane Grant-Salmon
22-03-2006, 7:12 PM
My Big Bruv registered our Father's death in November 1994, nothing wrong with the date of death (8th).

However, he gave the birthdate as 1 August 1912 and it was ages before he sent me the copy death certificate ...... |shakehead .... the correct date of birth is 1 August 1913.

I think someone told me that this mistake could be rectified, but there is a charge for doing so. If this is correct, has anyone any idea of the cost, or would I have to ask the Registrar at Wakefield? :confused:

Colin Moretti
22-03-2006, 9:54 PM
Hello Diane

This from the GRO website http://www.col.statistics.gov.uk/:

Deaths
Can I change the death record at a later date?

Each entry in a death register is an historic record of the facts as they were at the time of the death. If errors are discovered later, the law allows for details to be changed or added. Corrections should be arranged with the register office where the death was registered – but sometimes your paperwork will need to be sent to Corrections and Re-registration Section at the GRO in Southport for authorisation.

Wherever possible, applications for corrections should be made by the person who gave the information for the registration. He or she will be asked to provide documentary evidence to prove an error was made at the time of the registration.

There is no charge for authorising a correction – but if you would like to buy certificates of the corrected record, see Obtaining new certificates after a record has changed.

Colin

JoanneB
22-03-2006, 11:25 PM
I have been trying to find my grandfathers full D.O.B. for several years without success. Only the age appears on his death certificate, will the GRO have his full D.O.B.? Joanne

Diane Grant-Salmon
23-03-2006, 8:35 AM
Hi Colin,

Many thanks for telling me :)
I'll ask my brother to contact Wakefield Register Office and inform them of his mistake, I have a copy of our Father's birth certificate, so that should be enough proof. :)