PDA

View Full Version : DUNDAS of Arniston

Andrew Sellon
27-10-2004, 4:37 PM
My paternal grandmother was of the family Dundas of Arniston.

I have a great interest in this family's history, including membership of the HEIC, the Scottish and English bar, Govermental positions held, service in the Armed Forces and the Indian Civil etc.. In fact everything concerning them on a world wide basis.

Any interesting, (and perhaps not so interesting to you), snippets wil be very gratefuly recieved.

Sara Thomas
18-11-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm sure you've already done this, but have you checked in the Scottish National Archives?

I've turned up various items there related to my family --- of course, only the index is viewable on-line.
Sara

Frank W
18-11-2004, 4:16 PM
There was a Captain Dundas in command of HMS Naiad at the Battle of Trafalgar. 1805
The book "The Trafalgar Rolls" lists the names of officers of that ship, and gives the history of Naiad, but does not follow the careers of the Officers.
A copy of the book is held in the SoG Library.

Dundas rose to the rank of Admiral, and there was a Shore Establishment named after him at Portsmouth I believe. His naval career would be available at Kew.

Regards............Frank W

AnnB
18-11-2004, 6:53 PM
The name Dundas appears frequently in Naval history. There were ship's captains and admirals and quite a few went on to hold high office in the Admiralty (it was also the name of the Viscounts Melville). If you put Dundas and Admiralty into Google, it brings up a lot of sites to explore.

Good hunting
Ann

Andrew Sellon
23-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks to the three of you for the interest.

Yes, there were a number of Dundases in the RN, some rising to high rank.

Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, (variously known as King of Scotalnd and also a number of less flattering names), held the positon of First Lord of the Admiralty, as well as a number of other cabinate postions, under Pitt. He, through his position in the HEIC, is said to have been largely responsible for so many Scots streaming out to the Far East. His son, the 2nd Viscount, also became First Lord and it is he who is mainly responsible for so many bits of land and sea being named Dundas and Melville.

Yours Aye Andrew