PDA

View Full Version : Henry DENNIS, Charlton Marshall, Dorset

Jon Whiting
18-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Does anyone one have access to the PRs for Charlton Marshal, nr. Blanford, Dorset who can look up the birth/baptism of Henry Dennis in 1820/21 and give me details of his parents.

Regards
Jon

Trish
19-03-2006, 2:44 PM
Does anyone one have access to the PRs for Charlton Marshal, nr. Blanford, Dorset who can look up the birth/baptism of Henry Dennis in 1820/21 and give me details of his parents.

Regards
JonJon

Have you seen the 1861 census? Unfortunately, I don't think Charlton Marshal is all that close to Weymouth, but there's a Henry L. Dennis listed in Weymouth...

This Henry is 39, married to Jessie [born in Scotland], and his occupation is carrier. His birthplace is given as Weymouth and he's living in Hope Square, Weymouth. His father, Richard, 69 years old, a widower is living with the family. His occupation is given as a former carrier. Parents-in-law Edward and Helen GIBSON are also living there. Children's names are Richard, Helen, Sarah, Janet, Henry, Andrew and Mary.

Any connection?

Trish

Jon Whiting
19-03-2006, 3:58 PM
Hi Trish,

Thanks for your help.

I have Henry in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses; he died in 1879.

In 1851 he was in Evesham, age 30, married (but a lodger, not with wife), a 'hawker in soft goods', born Charlton, Dorset.

In 1861 he was in Southampton, age 40, married with his wife and five children (aged from 11 to 1, including two sons called William!!), a labourer, born Blandford.

In 1871 he was in Salisbury, age 50, married with wife and 5 (of his 9) children (aged 18 to 2), born Blandford.

As you can see, he moved around a lot, and had a variety of jobs. I have many details of him after the 1850s, but am trying to find out about his earlier life, and his parents. There were a number of Dennis families in Charlton Marshall, but I have not yet found any reference to him there.

His first child seems to have been born about 1850, so I assume he married shortly before that. His wife, Eliza, was born in Dingestow, Monmouthshire, but I have not yet found where they were married.

If anyone has the 1841 census for Charlton Marshall, I would be grateful for any information on the Dennis families from that.

Regards
Jon