PDA

View Full Version : Twins??

Julie Tyrell
18-03-2006, 5:46 PM
On checking the births records for my grandfather I found the following entries.
Apr (qtr) 1913

HAMMON - Charles F.T. (mother's maiden name: OFFEN) Thanet 2a 2096
HAMMON - Richard F.T. (mother's maiden name: OFFEN) Thanet 2a 2096

Could this mean they were twins, my g.grandfather was killed in an accident 6months before my grandfather was born, leaving a young widow with 5 children and 3 mths pregnant.

I have applied for yet another birth certificate!! But, wonder if they were twins, if Richard was adopted as I can't find a death (1913-1916) and none of the family know of a Richard.

Everyday brings new intrigue
Julie

Davran
18-03-2006, 6:06 PM
I believe that, if it was a twin birth, the time of birth would be given on the birth cert. Is this the case on yours?

Julie Tyrell
18-03-2006, 6:11 PM
As i knew my grnadfathers date of birth and parents I never bothered to apply for his certificate, I think I may have to now!

Copper
18-03-2006, 6:41 PM
Have you checked the death index to see if Richard died young?

Julie Tyrell
18-03-2006, 6:45 PM
I have looked from 1913 to 1916, will now look further but I would of thought that my relatives would of remembered him, as my grandfather was the youngest.

Julie Tyrell
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
An up-dated if anyone is interested!

They were not twins, apparently the mother named my grandad Richard Frederick Thomas and then changed her mind and renamed him Charles Frederick Thomas (as shown on Richard's birth certificate).

Julie

Ron Leech
13-04-2006, 8:38 AM
An up-dated if anyone is interested!

They were not twins, apparently the mother named my grandad Richard Frederick Thomas and then changed her mind and renamed him Charles Frederick Thomas (as shown on Richard's birth certificate).

Julie
Thanks for the update Julie, presumably 2 certificates were issued did the second one give detail of the change of information?

Copper
13-04-2006, 10:40 AM
How interesting - thanks for telling us.

Julie Tyrell
13-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Ron

Yes the second certificate gave the change of name, very interesting. For a while I thought I was on the hunt for a 'lost' twin.

My grandfather's father died (in a tragic accident) 6 months before my grandfather was born, leaving a pregnant widow and 5 small children, so I did wonder if she gave one up for adoption, but no, she just changed her mind about what to call him.

Thanks for your interest, Julie

Ron Leech
13-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Just as well it was only the one child. Did the new names reflect his father's names?

Julie Tyrell
13-04-2006, 1:12 PM
Hi Ron

No the names didn't reflect the father (Lionel Christopher William).

I did feel for his wife Emily, her father had drown at sea aged 32 (he was a fisherman) and then her husband drowns at sea, also aged 32, but he was out on a pleasure trip that ended with a huge wave from a steamer knocking the boat over. The people on the jetty could see what was happening but the coast guard couldn't get there in time and he drown too.

It makes you realise what tough lives some of our ancestors went through.

Julie

Ron Leech
13-04-2006, 1:25 PM
No the names didn't reflect the father (Lionel Christopher William).
Perhasp the husband wanted the original names and she had firm view about the new ones.

On my wifes side had a tough time in one year the wife buries both her 30 odd year old husband and young son both with the unusual first name of Hutchinson. Of a family of 6 or so only 2 of the children survived more than a few years more.

I think it is Cooling church in Kent which best shows this by the numbers of family grave stones side by side, Dickens I think used it in the opening of Great Expectations.