PDA

View Full Version : WHITWORTH/SLATTERY of Oldham

chs4
27-10-2004, 2:37 PM
I have been able to confirm through various sources (census, social security and birth records) that the marraige (details below) of my gg-grandparents took place, but I have hit a roadblock tracing details on both the marraige and the family's emigration to the United States.

What I know:

Mary Elizabeth WHITWORTH [b. abt.1876 (Oldham, Lancashire, England)] m. James Edward SLATTERY [b. abt.1874 (Oldham, Lancashire, England)] abt.1897

Children:
Charles Herbert Slattery [b. 17 March 1898 (Oldham, Lancashire, England) d. 01 June 1974 (Beverly, Massachusetts, USA)]
Robert James Slattery [b. 27 March 1921 (Beverly, Massachusetts, USA) d. 12 May 1999 (Amarillo, Texas, USA)]

1901 U.K. Census living at 13 Eden Street, Oldham, Lancashire, England.
1920 U.S. Federal Censuses living at 6 School Street, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA.
1930 U.S. Federal Censuses living at 129 Water Street, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA.

I cannot account for their whereabouts between the 1901 U.K. Census & 1920 U.S. Census.

Family accounts say they emigrated from England to Quebec, Canada before venturing south to Massachusetts, but I have no documentation of this.

I would be very appreciative of any information anyone may have on this family.

eileenb
02-11-2004, 8:52 PM
Checking on Ancestry 1895 - 1900 there is a marriage for a Mary Elizabeth Whitworth to a PATRICK Slattery in the December quarter of 1895 in Oldham - Ref 8d 1010.

No trace of a marriage in Oldham to James Edward. Did he change his name and is this the reason you can't find him. It may to be worth obtaining the certificate to see if any other info on there ties up.

Also there is a further marriage for a Mary Elizabeth Whitworth in the September Quarter of 1895 - Ref 8d 548 but there are a number of marriages on that page. None however are to a person by the name of Slattery. On the same page - Ref 8d 548 there is a marriage of a Mary Slattery but again difficult to tell who she married.

Hope this may help
Eileen

chs4
04-11-2004, 8:37 PM
Eileen,

Thanks for your help.

I was aware of the Mary Elizabeth Whitworth/Patrick Slattery marriage and did in fact send away for the certificate on a whim, hoping it may provide some clues. Comparing the location (town, street, etc.), parents and witnesses on the marriage cert to what I have found in the census it would appear that this is the correct Mary Elizabeth Whitworth.

The Patrick/James Slattery angle is a little more confusing. Since I don't know James' parents names I can't compare them to the parents listed on the aforementioned certificate. I'm going to have to do some additional digging. According to the 1901 UK Census James was born in Oldham as well. MAybe I can find a similarly aged Patrick Slattery born in Oldham.

The search continues...

Geoffers
04-11-2004, 9:11 PM
[Iwas aware of the Mary Elizabeth Whitworth/Patrick Slattery marriage and did in fact send away for the certificate on a whim.......The Patrick/James Slattery angle is a little more confusing. Since I don't know James' parents names I can't compare them to the parents listed on the aforementioned certificate.]

The 1881 census shows a James Slattery who fits with the information that you have provided, and has a second name of Patrick - maybe the source of the information you have about his name being James Edward is slightly incorrect? Does the father's name match the marriage certificate?

RG11/4077 f12 p18
30 Skellorn St, Oldham, Lancashire, England
Timothy SLATTERY, hd, mar, 60, gas labourer, bn Clare, Ireland
Anne SLATTERY, wf, mar, 57, bn Clare, Ireland
Edward SLATTERY, son, unm, 22, cotton operative, bn Oldham
Mary SLATTERY, dau, unm, 14, cotton operative, bn Oldham
Bridget SLATTERY, dau, unm, 13, schoalr, bn Oldham Occ: Scholar
James Patrick SLATTERY, son, unm, 11, scholas, bn Oldham

There is another Patrick Slattery born Oldham on the 1881 census, the census entry is shown below.....

RG11/4066 f6 p5
1 Back Peter St, Oldham
John SLATTERY, hd, mar, 45, general labourer, bn Ireland
Mary SLATTERY, wf, mar, 42, washerwoman, bn Ireland
Mary SLATTERY, dau, unm, 15, cotton operative, bn Oldham
Sarah SLATTERY, dau, unm, 13, scholar, bn Oldham
Ann SLATTERY, dau, 7, scholar, bn Oldham
Michael SLATTERY, son, 11, scholar, bn Oldham
Patrick SLATTERY, son, 9, scholar, bn Oldham
John SLATTERY, son, 4, scholar, bn Oldham

Geoffers