PDA

View Full Version : Broadband availability

royston
18-03-2006, 2:33 PM
I am using Wanadoo broadband.
During the day and early evening (til about 6PM) I get straight in and have no problems at all.
But, after 6pm and sometimes as late as 9pm I find it very difficult to get on line and when I can get on staying on is a problem.
When I try to dial up it says " no dial tone". or "connection fault".
The connection is exactly the same as when I get no trouble.
Wanadoo seem incapable of answering other than with an e mail that is a standard issue to try to cover all problems. This is useless.
Any suggestions very welcome.
Roy

Neil Wilson
18-03-2006, 3:41 PM
Right I give it a try- you are with Wanadoo, who purchase their broadband from BT.
BT allocates the broadband logged on users to the capacity that the telephone exchange can manage.
If all the capacity is in use, you will have problems logging in. For example there is capacity for 100 broadband users on the exchange and there are 101 users, someone will be unlucky if you all try to log on at the same time.
The problem might be greater in your local area than you think. Try writing to a local paper to see if there are others in the area having the same problem, then ask BT to increase the broadband capacity of the exchange.
All the best
Neil

Who had to wait 5 weeks for the exchange capacity to be increased and the line to be connected.

Frank W
18-03-2006, 5:35 PM
I thought that Broadband was an "always-on" service, and that you did not have to dial up to connect to it. The problem described seems to be more relevant to the Wanadoo Anytime or Pay-as-you-Go service, and it is certainly the case that there have been some failings in getting connected to Anytime recently (busy line for the first 9 or more attempts)
The main effect of being on a Broadband feed with too many others also connected is likely to be a slowing of the Service speed, but whether this would also prevent normal logging-on I am not sure. Is it essential to log-on and log-off??
Ordinary telephone line service should not be affected by being piggy-backed on Broadband I would have thought, but perhaps some corners are being cut by Wanadoo. (or BT)
Regards.........Frank W
PS.... I've been considering changing to Broadband, but perhaps there are more snags than I realised

Peter Goodey
18-03-2006, 7:46 PM
This sounds like the same problem royston was complaining about months ago when the consensus of opinion was that there was something wrong with the connection between the PC and the exchange.

If you're convinced that the cabling within your own home is OK (none of us is in a position to judge), I suggest you press Wanadoo to get BT to sort it out.

What's all this business about emails? TALK to them, SHOUT at a real human being. If they still won't do anything, I'd look around for an ISP who will.

Dennis Harker
19-03-2006, 8:04 AM
I've been on Wanadoo broadband for some years now - remember when it started out as Freeserve?

I used to have Roy's problem when using the Alcatel Speedtouch modem that Freeserve supplied with the connection. After doing some trawling around the web I discovered updates for the modem (can't remember if driver or firmware). I downloaded and installed these and the problem went away.

And, yes, with a USB modem you still effectively have to dial up each time. I have now switched to a router, with built-in modem, and set up a small home network. No one on the network ever has a problem getting on as the router does the connecting as soon as you switch it on. Surfing can be noticeably slower when there are more people online such as in the evening or at weekends but the router never fails to connect first time. Another advantage to the router is that it contains a hardware firewall which is generally accepted as being stronger than the software ones and you can use both firewalls at the same time.

Recommendation - look for modem updates and install them or opt for a router. Wanadoo itself seems to be okay.

Terry
19-03-2006, 4:52 PM
I'm using Tiscali broadband- this always uses a dial up type connection when I first activate either my email or web browser. I have found that the connection software supplied with the Speedtouch modem is useless and virtually never connects- so I set up the normal windows connection software to connect to my broadband connection, and normally it connects straight off. I do have problems if I try to get a connection mid to late afternoon when the school kids are home, and if I do get on then the connection is sloooooow!
But normally things are pretty good. My broadband is my only vice and I find it is well worth paying for.

AnnB
19-03-2006, 5:37 PM
I never have any problems with my BT Broadband Frank. I think it is a case of you get what you pay for and lots of the cut price ones do not provide a good service. I have been with BT Yahoo broadband for nearly two years and have always had good service with very helpful free support :)
I agree with Scottie, although I hope we haven't put the kiss of death on our respective good service ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Frank W
20-03-2006, 3:00 AM
I don't have a burning need for Broadband - the main advantage being to free up the phone line and avoid domestic difficulties. Presumably even if you have to dial up to set up the Broadband connection each time, it won't prevent the use of the phone line once you are successfully logged-on??
Of course the better download speed is an advantage too, though I only download computer progs occasionally, so "Cheap & Cheerful" would be acceptable so long as it did'nt become "Cheap & Nasty".
My thanks to all who have added their very useful inputs to this thread.
Regards........Frank W

keith9351
20-03-2006, 8:10 AM
There seems to be some confusion here regarding Broadband, BT Wholesale (so I have been told) supply Broadband services for non-cable Broadband. The companies then buy the service from them.

BT have to buy the service from the same market place as France Telecom (Wanadoo) and the speed etc is determined by the exchange and distance from it.

I myself use Wanadoo and my next door neighbour BT and when in the past I had problems he had the same problem for the same amount of time.

Dennis Harker
20-03-2006, 7:38 PM
Another aspect to consider is the 'contention ratio' of your broadband. Most residential broadband lines work on a contention ratio of 50:1. In other words you must share that bandwidth with up to 50 other people. Your speed will depend upon how many of those other 50 are online at the same time.

Most business broadband connections have a contention ratio of 20:1.

Until recently most residential lines were running at a low contention ratio simply because there was never anything like the 50 other people using the bandwidth at the same time. However, now that more and more people are connecting to broadband the ratio is rising, rapidly, towards the 50:1

Up until recently the ratio was set by BT. It didn't matter which ISP you paid your money to the ratio was set by BT. Now that other companies are able to install their own equipment into BT exchanges they have more freedom over the contention ratio and, one presumes, the higher priced will have a lower ratio. Having said that, the market-place will decide as it is all driven by profits and not social needs.

Dennis Harker
20-03-2006, 7:40 PM
The error message that Royston was getting though was one of non-connection or no dial tone. This is exactly the same as my Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem until I upgraded the drivers. Problem went away. Speed of connection is really a different matter.

royston
21-03-2006, 8:41 PM
Thanks to all who took the trouble to answer my question.
I have downloaded an update for the driver and it does seem to have speeded up connection a little. To anyone who has not moved up to broadband, please do not let my problem put you off. It is a far better system than dial up, and very much faster in downloading items. I would not want to go back to dial up.
Thanks again, Roy

Diane Grant-Salmon
30-04-2006, 10:30 AM
I have just received this 'snippet' from my brother, who lives in Cheshire:

Good news! I have just got my free broadband upgrade from 2 Meg to 8 Meg....
Bad News! Due to the distance to exchange it will only go up to 5 Meg!

We are both with BT, but I haven't heard a thing on the grapevine about this, has anyone else please? :confused:

Peter Goodey
30-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Try this -

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

[DSL Max is what you're looking for]

When an ISP chooses to implement it - if ever - is another matter, but since you're with BT....

Diane Grant-Salmon
30-04-2006, 1:09 PM
|wave| Peter,

Many thanks for the link. I didn't put in my last message, how Big Bruv signed off his email to me. He's teased me ever since I was a little girl, so nothing's changed! |shakehead

Nah, nah, nah, nah nah!

Below is the result of my search for my area:

Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.
BT are in the process of upgrading the majority of telephone exchanges around the UK to support speeds of up to 8Mbit/s.

The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 31/03/06

Many of the exchanges are red and amber at the moment due to the fact that until the main roll out is well commenced BT will not finalise the dates as they want to ensure that any unforseen issues will not affect dates. We will publish the updated info when and as we get it. The roll out is still fully commited too, as previously commented upon, and the info will be with you as soon as possible.

I typed in Big Bruv's postcode and the result was exactly the same. Why can't lickle sis get something BEFORE Big Bruv for a change??? :confused:

Or a miracle may happen and I get 6 Meg!

Magus Perde
03-05-2006, 4:16 PM
I have a fixed 2Mb connection via BT Business Broadband. Although I am able to get up to 8Mb if I want it (and cheaper than the 2Mb incidentally), I have chosen not to take this route because I quite often visit people with broadband 'problems' in order to rectify them. They all seem to have the same type of problems when using the 8Mb service and these fall into two general camps.

The first is that of non connection. This is (obviously) where people are struggling to actually connect to their service and whilst this is very annoying (and seemingly unsolvable from the client end for the moment) it is thankfully rare. The second problem is that of general unreliability and, specifically, wildly varying speeds. I have seen speeds that will go from a measured 7.4Mb (externally via a nice bit of kit I have. 7.44 is the fastest I have ever seen) down to 0.012Mb (far,far slower than dial up on a 56K modem) and back again in the blink of an eye with the process repeating. This 'pulsing' behaviour is not normal and the service should be more or less steady at a pre-determined delivery rate (whatever the line can support as a maximum). It has always been the case that wherever this pulsing is present, the connection is poor and problems are experienced. Measuring fully functioning connections will always produce a steady reading.

The main problem then is that the 8Mb service really isn't that reliable yet. Certainly not yet reliable enough for me anyway (I need a good and constant net connection). I would imagine that, based on previous experience, the service will likely become reliable within three to six months for most people. The advice given above in the previous post to stick with 2Mb is, I feel, valid and the smart thing to do for the time being. Review the situation again in August or September if you really want 8Mb ;)

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-05-2006, 9:22 AM
Thank you Myth :D for all that information and thank you Magus for your input too.

As Myth already knows, I'm not very knowledgable about some things relating to computers, so may I ask that you both make allowances, for what is probably a *daft* question?

If they are basing this test on computer speed, over a period of time, on my desktop which is the one I use 95% of the time, running at 2MB ...... what would happen when I use my laptop (which has its own modem) which runs at 1MB? Presumably, this would have a worse yo-yo effect in my case? :confused:

I am very happy with the way things are, like you Myth, I would prefer to keep to 2MB rather than be messed about!

Magus, I'm on BT Broadband £26. 99 p.m. package ...... do you know if it's possible for me to ask them 'to leave me as I am'? If so, will you please tell me how to do it? :confused:

Thankyou. :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-05-2006, 9:32 AM
P.S. I don't know whether this is anything to do with it, but by Big Bruv isn't having any problems at all, so far anyway, maintaining his new speed.

However, his computer is connected 364 days a year, 24 hours a day (Christmas Day being the exception), as it's *used* by a Cancer programme. I don't really understand this, so please don't ask me! ;)

My computer is usually connected from approximately 8.00a.m. to 7.30p.m. everyday, except if I go out, or decide to garden all day ... like today! :)

Peter Goodey
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
"I would prefer to keep to 2MB rather than be messed about!"

My ISP, after being a bit ambivalent about it all, is now saying that they will 'probably' provide a free upgrade in the fullness of time but may introduce a usage cap. Many customers think this is bad news and have said they would prefer to stay at 2Mb. ISP says this would probably not be an option...complicates contracts...support difficulties...etc.

Dennis Harker
04-05-2006, 8:07 PM
Diane,

I knew there was a reason why I kept away from BT - £26.99 per month for 2Mb ADSL!!

I've been on Homecall for some time now - £12.50 a month for 1Mb uncapped, unlimited broadband. Their service is now part of the Pipex group which has a very good reputation and they provide good webspace plus up to 5Mb per email attachment. So far the system is reliable and customer service have always responded to emails within 24 hours or alternatively straight away on the 0870 support number.

I see Bulldog are now offering 16Mb line speed for just over £14 a month (£8.95 for the first few months as an intro), 1Gb cap and you have to live reasonably close to the exchange.

However, it amazes me that BT still charge so much - what happened to competition?

Diane Grant-Salmon
05-05-2006, 9:19 AM
Hi Myth :D Many thanks for the phone call and for explaining everything to me. In respect of the experiment, so far, so good ...... so it looks as though your thoughts are correct on that particular problem! I'll let you know the end result when Gerry follows the rest of your advice.

Hi Peter :) It looks as though we are all at the mercy of the ISP's doesn't it?

Hi Dennis ...... I agree that BT are expensive, but two sayings spring into my mind.

1. Better the devil you know
2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

OK, I admit that these are just excuses, but the thought of all the hassle of changing, fills me with horror ....... even poor Myth has had to 'wash his hands in despair'! :D

Dennis Harker
05-05-2006, 3:24 PM
Diane,

Just looked at my last post again - apologies if it seemed somewhat critical. That was not intended - just my disbelief at BT rates.

I was with Wanadoo but they started (slowly) removing some of their facilities and they also had a lot of 'left hand' not knowing what 'right hand' was doing after they separated their group into different little companies. Some in UK, some in France and some in Madeira. Eventually I just emailed and asked for the Migration Authorisation Code which I received within 24 hours. Telephoned Homecall, gave them the MAC and two weeks later I was on Homecall broadband. Admittedly I already had my phone service with Homecall and that helps to get the lower price. Went to bed one night and was on Wanadoo broadband, woke up the following morning and was on Homecall. Just needed to change the log-in and password on the router.

I also know that Homecall have had some criticism (BBC1 Watchdog) but I've never had a problem with any of their services and now that they've just been taken over by Pipex I am more than happy with them.

As the saying goes, "horses for courses" and that's why we all have a choice.

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Diane,
Just looked at my last post again - apologies if it seemed somewhat critical. That was not intended - just my disbelief at BT rates.

Hi Dennis,

I do agree with you about BT's rates, so no apology is necessary. :)

"we are all at the mercy of the ISP's"

Hi Myth :D

Any news yet re your fixed 2MB product? Here is another 'snippet' from Big Bruv this morning:

I installed the Broadband Talk from BT.....very easy .... now I get free weekend and evening phone calls and it costs now't! Which for a Yorkie is the best!

It's all free as part of the free upgrade from 2 meg to 8 megs ....you get another little 'box' into which you plug a phone.

Apparently, BT give you the choice of upgrading or not, but as they will not be expecting anyone to refuse their offer, seeing as freebie phone calls are included in the package ....... will there really be a choice? ;)

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-05-2006, 4:05 PM
Hi Myth :D

Oh dear ..... now I am confused! When Big Bruv and I first signed up with BT, about two years ago, the price was £29.99 p.m. but about twelve months ago, when they introduced Basic Broadband at £17.99 p.m. and put limits on, they 'automatically' gave us both a 15GB limit and reduced the price to £26.99p.m.

An option was given of 30GB at the old price, but an upgrade was needed for that ..... I didn't bother, but Big Bruv must have done it. I've scoured BT's website and I think this is the page you referred to:
Click Here: (http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?targetSection=packages&showsub=bb_broadband_packages&obsPage=/broadband/bb_info.jsp&vStore=1322&obsOID=-38442&obsType=LINK&obsNoSee=true)

However, this is My Account as per BT and I am paying £26. 99p.m according to my Bank Statements:

Product: BT Broadband Option 3 - Product details
Usage allowance: 20GB
Speed: up to 8Mb

I also found this:

5. What are BT's usage guidelines?
We have increased the usage guidelines for each of our Broadband products (effective from 15th Oct 2005):

Package: Monthly Usage Guideline:
BT Broadband Option 1, £17.99 2GB
BT Broadband Option 2, £22.99 6GB
BT Broadband Option 3, £26.99 20GB
BT Broadband Option 4, £29.99 40GB

Do they owe me some money then? :confused:

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-05-2006, 4:13 PM
P.S. This monthly amount is paid by Direct Debit, by the way. ;)

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-05-2006, 7:32 PM
Quote: That doesn't stop you phoning up and lying through your teeth

Me? Tell porkies? Never! :D Thanks for the info, but I daren't risk it. Knowing my luck (usually bad) BT will say OK, go with NTL. The first thing we did when we moved here, was phone NTL and ask them to take away their box on the wall, because I was furious when I found their cable buried 4" deep in the garden. In one place it's totally exposed and it's supposed to be 18" I think. When gardening, other people dig up bricks etc. whereas I always dig up cable! |rant|

As for the free phone calls, after reading about the equipment needed, I don't want them anyway. It's not worth the risk of messing up 'your successful experiment'. ;)

I'm pleased that you managed to get the better of Brent Council.

Diane Grant-Salmon
26-05-2006, 10:18 AM
I received the offer to register for up to 8Mb speed this morning from BT ..... my line test says I could get 6.5 Mb speed. Needless to say, I have 'filed away' this email in a new folder which I opened in My Documents, named *Things which BT will hopefully forget all about me* ...... 'cos I want to stay on a reliable 2Mb speed! ;)

The magic of faster internet speed helps you make the most of a whole new world of opportunities - and BT is rolling out an enhancement that could speed up your service - with no change to your monthly cost1. To be one of the first to benefit from this enriched experience, you need to register your interest in new, faster BT Broadband, with up to 8Mb2 download speeds – approximately 160 times faster than standard dial-up. 8Mb Broadband is currently subject to local availability. If your line won’t support up to 8Mb, we’ll offer the best speed available on your line.

1 New 12-month contract applies. You may need to upgrade your modem or router to increase your speed.
2 Subject to line test. Availability of 8Mb speed is subject to various factors, e.g. distance from exchange and line test. Check availability