PDA

View Full Version : John Jose puzzle

MarkJ
12-03-2006, 5:43 PM
In my tree, I have been stuck for several years with this one person.
Although he was apparently a resident of St Enoder Parish, I decided to post in the general forum in case anyone may possibly be able to help.
John Jose married Jinifer SOBEY 27 October, 1804. The marriage is well documented - even down to the dates the banns were read at the church.
According to the wedding information and later censuses, John was from St Enoder.
However, I have never been able to find any birth details for him and so am totally stuck on this line.
Based on the censuses and marriage details,together with his age at death, John was born around 1775/6 in St Enoder.
When he died, he was living at a place called Sunrising - which was right on the border or St Enoder and St Stephen in Brannel parishes.
During several years of revisiting this query, I have only found one possible match - a Jonathan Jose, son of Jane Jose, born March 1774 in St Stephen parish. I am not convinced this is the correct person still - and thought that somebody else may have some ideas.
Despite some quite lengthy searches - and being fortunate enough to have access to various records via the OPC for St Enoder - John has been rather elusive. It may be that he was not christened in St Enoder C of E church - perhaps he was from non-conformist parents?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this one for me :)

Mark

Scottie
12-03-2006, 7:04 PM
In my tree, I have been stuck for several years with this one person.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this one for me :)

Mark
Hi Mark,
Is this the John Jose whose daughter Mary Ann married Richard Harris on 3 Nov 1838 in St Columb Major? She had 9 children in St Columb Major and Newlyn East. Mary Ann was born 1817 in St Enoder. Now there are Jose's in Blisland too and in St Agnes and Tywardreath.

There is a John Jose who marries Jane George on 16 May 1730 in Egloshayle and he is the son of Stephen Jose and Margaret Geach married 14 Nov 1697 in Egloshayle. All in all they seem to have moved about a lot so it seems possible that your John was born in St Stephen in Brannel.

This may be useless information for you :D but it does show that they were very mobile as a family

MarkJ
12-03-2006, 7:53 PM
Hi Scottie,
Yes, it is indeed the same person :)
The family do seem to have some strange movements at times - Richard Jose, the grandson of John, was in Yorkshire with his family at one point!
There are certainly connections with St Stephen. As I mentioned, Sunrising was literally right on the border. I have a tithe map of the area at the time and the house where John lived was in St Enoder parish, but the border ran down the garden wall. So there is a possibility that John was born there - which would make the St Stephen possibility likely.
I would be more convinced if there was a Jonathan occuring elsewhere in the family - although John occurs, the longer form does not.
The George connection is interesting. That is another family which links into my own tree in several places - so maybe there is something to research there.
The only real tip I could get from Johns marriage was that one of the witnesses was a Thomas Jose. He may be a link I suspect.
In St Enoder churchyard, there is only one Jose with a headstone - an Arthur Jose. Now as far as I can see so far, Arthur appears to come from north of St Enoder - possibly Bodmin or that way. I have not really looked into him too much as I could see no direct connection. However, it could be that Arthur moved to St Enoder because there were family members there. Its one of the great things about genealogy - all that unravelling of tiny clues :)
I shall continue to hunt John and his ancestors - and I thank you for another little lead which may prove useful. Cheers Scottie,

Mark