PDA

View Full Version : England family of Basford, Blackwell, South Normanton area

Aalandjana
08-03-2006, 3:07 PM
I am looking for any information on England family in Derbyshire.
My grandmother Annie Elizabeth England was born in 1885 in Basford registration district. Her father was Joseph England, born in 1859 in Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. He was a miner and moved a lot within Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. His wife was Sarah Ball, born 1859 in Coalville, Leicestershire. Other children they had were: John England, b. 1879 South Normanton, Harriet b. 1881, Blackwell and James, b.1883, Blackwell

Any information on this family appreciated

Allan Middleton

Rod Neep
08-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Bear in mind that Basford Registration districts is not just the place called basford. The registration district is HUGE. It covers large parts of west Nottinghamshire, even places in Nottinghamshire south of the river Trent.... and LARGE parts of Derbyshire too!

Regards
Rod

Aalandjana
09-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't know where exactly Annie Elizabeth England was born within Basford RD. All I knew was that she was born in Derbyshire and her father's name was Joseph and that she died 1944 in Boston, Lincolnshire, 60 years old. The only Annie or Elizabeth England to fit this description was this one. If anybody knows more about this Annie or Elizabeth or both and her father Joseph (who on her marriage certificate from 1916 was an innkeeper) please help with my research.

Allan

janbooth
09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Do you have any census details on Joseph's parents?? I have found what looks like the family in Kirkby in Ashfield in the 1861 census (RG9/2433, folio 58, page 8). Let me know if you would like details. Joseph looks as if he is still with them in the 1871 census in Kirkby, is married and in South Normonton in the 81/91 census and in Alfreton in the 1901 census.

Hope this helps.

Janet

Aalandjana
09-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Hello Janet,
Thanks for your reply - I've got the 1901 census for Joseph when he's in Alfreton. His father according to what I found from the censuses was James England, born about 1832 in any of these places: Durham, Sunderland; North of England; Eaton or North Wales. I followed Joseph in the censuses, so I've got his family. What confuses me is the Alvy/Alvey surname appearing with him in 1891 as Ernest Alvey, 9 year old visitor and then in 1901 as servant Priscilla Alvey, (22) and Ernest (18) son - whose son - Josephs'? Are these Alveys Joseph's children?

Allan