PDA

View Full Version : 1851 census handwriting

Brian Turnbull
08-03-2006, 6:46 AM
I need some kind person to help me with the handwriting on the 1851 census for Cornwall.H.O. 107/1913 page 11 is for the parish of Crowan and the village is Poler**(?)bo I think can anybody shed any light on what the village might be. Also the entry for Jacob Sincock lists a daughter in the household age 9 months born Breage but I cannot make out the name.

I can email the page as an attachment if that is a help.

Brian Turnbull

DebbieAnn
08-03-2006, 7:21 AM
Village looks like 'Poleribo' - youngest daughter is 'Levinia Hamlap' (looks like). Other daughter is Eliz. Ann - GRO index shows b: Sep qtr 1848, Helston (vol 9 pg 109) - area contains both Crowan and Breage.

Debbie

DebbieAnn
08-03-2006, 7:28 AM
In Dec qtr 1847, Jacob Sincock married possibly Mary Ann Davies in Helston (vol 9 pg 164).

1861 census shows Lavinia as 'Emily' - birth record for Jun qtr 1850 is for Emily, b: Helston (vol 9 pg 118).

Debbie

Mythology
08-03-2006, 7:40 AM
I don't have access to the image, so I wouldn't like to say what it's actually written as, but try Polcrebo, about a mile south of Crowan itself - it's the only place that makes sense to me, hardly anything of it now but quite possibly worthy of the title "village" back in the mining days.

AnnB
08-03-2006, 7:51 AM
I haven't seen the image, but would think it might be Polcrebo near Crowan. Take a look at http://cornovia.org.uk/ihpnc/p.html.

Best wishes
Ann

AnnB
08-03-2006, 7:53 AM
Ooops - was in such a hurry to get the reply typed and on - I didn't notice Myth had beaten me to it :o

Best wishes
Ann

Pam Downes
08-03-2006, 9:09 AM
Hi Brian,
Thankfully every seems to have solved the mystery because my knowledge of Cornish geography is not that good :)
However a couple of tips. If you can't read a word on a page then look at other pages either side to see if you can see the word written more clearly.
Look at a map e.g www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk) to see if you can see a likely-looking place name near to the one you can read.
Look at place names in the registration district county
http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/
though in the case of Cornwall Ann's index is far superior.
I reckon that Lavinia's second name is Hamley which if you say it, is the enumerator's way of spelling Emily. (or else it was the way the family spelt it on the original schedule - we mustn't always blame the poor enumerator scratching away with his pen nib by candlelight :) )
You also need a folio number to complete the census ref. i.e. HO107/1913 folio 548 page 11.
Pam Downes

Brian Turnbull
09-03-2006, 7:32 AM
Thanks for your help everyone.It looks as if we have cleared up the issue.
DebbieAnn - I should have thought to check the 1861 census and realise that Emily is Lavinia because of age.
Mythology - Thanks for Polcrebo, it looks to be the place but I still cannot get that word from the the writing on the census. I guess I need to stretch the imagination a little more.

AnnB - Thanks for the place names site, that will be useful for other places as well.
PamDowns -Thanks for the other pages advice. I have tried streetmaps before but not having a close spelling didn't return a result. I had checked Genuki but it doesn't show anything.

Sometimes I think that I cannot see the wood for the trees in some of my research.
Brian