08-03-2006, 5:12 AM
GEORGE THOMAS MARRIOTT born poss in redbourne hertford or surrounding districts
father:
mother:
siblings:
.GEORGE married MARY GEDDES on 15 Jun 1824 in REDBOURNE HERTFORD
children:.
1: GEORGE MARRIOTT 19 DEC 1824 AT ABBOTS LANGLEY 6.9 K SOUTH OF REDBOURNE
2: THOMAS BENJAMIN MARRIOTT 13 july 1828 redbourne hertford eng died 1913 aged 85 geelong
JAMES HUFFER was born on 15 Jul 1810 in rushden hertford eng. no record of james migrating with his children
father: WILLIAM HUFFER
mother: MARY SHEPHERD
siblings:
1: william huffer c 27 sep 1807 rushden hertford
2: hannah huffer c 7 march 1813 rushden hertford
3: mary huffer 24 dec 1815 rushden hertford
4: ann huffer 31 may 1818
5: john huffer c 18 feb 1821

He married MARTHA CONDOR. 04 JUL 1830 Ashwell, Hertford, England IGI M072051 ( check as one source says she is martha clifford)
children:
1: CAROLINE ANN HUFFER was born on 5 Apr 1835 in ashwell located 31 k from redbourne where her husband thomas marriott was born.. She died in 1916 aged 811 in geelong.
2: william huffer 4 july 1831 Ashwell, Hertford, England he is 4 years older than caroline
migrated:
19 aug 1854 "marshall bennett"

petercornish
13-03-2006, 9:29 AM
Hi Hyatt,

I am not quite sure from your posting what you are seeking but I have traced James Huffer and family on the 1841/51/61 census returns for Ashwell. Do you have this info, if not I can supply.

There is an entry in the Hertfordshire Burial Index for a Martha Huffer, age 44, buried on 08 June 1840 at Ashwell (St.Mary the Virgin). James Huffer remarried on 26 December 1853 to Mary Ann Lucas (nee Westerman) a widow with a family, hence the details on the 1861.

I also found an additional christening on the IGI for George Huffer s/o William and Mary 06 Jul 1823 at Rushden.

I will check the 04 Jul 1830 Ashwell marriage details and search the Redbourne parish records for a possible christening of George Marriott on my next visit to the Hertfordshire RO.

Hope this helps.

Regards ... Peter

hyatt
13-03-2006, 2:27 PM
hi
thank you for your offer of help i have been stuck on this family for ages.
here is ALL i have on them. the census material would be great to have to add some much needed twigs to this branch.
havent anything else on the marriotts either so it leaves big gaps in the tree.

THOMAS BENJAMIN MARRIOTT was born on 13 Jul 1828 in redbourne hertford eng.
He died in 1913 aged 85 in geelong vic.
father: GEORGE THOMAS MARRIOTT
mother: MARY GEDDES
siblings:
1: george marriott 19 dec 1824 abbots langley hertford

MARRIOTT, WILLIAM H. Cmessage=hi
thank you for your offer of help i have been stuck on this family for ages.
here is ALL i have on them. the census material would be great to have to add some much needed twigs to this branch.
havent anything else on the marriotts either so it leaves big gaps in the tree.

THOMAS BENJAMIN MARRIOTT was born on 13 Jul 1828 in redbourne hertford eng.
He died in 1913 aged 85 in geelong vic.
father: GEORGE THOMAS MARRIOTT
mother: MARY GEDDES
siblings:
1: george marriott 19 dec 1824 abbots langley hertford

MARRIOTT, WILLIAM H. Cemetery Geelong Eastern Cemetery Location CEOP*0***00 Register # 1893 DoB 1829 DoD Age 58 buried 19 oct 1887 it is poss he is another brother needs checking

migrated: he must have migrated sometime between 1828 and 1855 maximum age 27 ship unknown

He married CAROLINE ANN HUFFER in 1855 1 year after she arrived in australia

95. CAROLINE ANN HUFFER was born on 5 Apr 1835 in ashwell located 31 k from redbourne where her husband thomas marriott was born.. She was buried 27 jan 1916 aged 82 in geelong.

MARRIOTT, CAROLINE ANN (HUFFER)Cemetery Geelong Eastern Cemetery Location MET*4***137 METHODIST (Newer Area) Register # 9628 DoB DoD Age 82 buried 27 jan 1916

father: JAMES HUFFER
mother: MARTHA CONDOR or MARTHA CLIFFORD
siblings:
1: william huffer 4 july 1831 Ashwell, Hertford, England
migrated:
shipping index:
19 aug 1854 on the barque "marshall bennett" book 10 page 303 (barque Marshall Bennett, 351 tons -360 tons, Captain Harris in 1842)
caroline Huffer age 19
page 301
william Huffer age 26 (age does not match his birthdate should be 23-24)
catherine Huffer age 26 she is probably wife of william huffer

WILLIAM HUFFER .
father:
mother:
siblings:
married : MARY SHEPHERD. before 1807
children:
1: william huffer c 27 sep 1807 rushden hertford
2: JAMES HUFFER was born on 15 Jul 1810 in rushden hertford eng. no record of james migrating with his children
3: hannah huffer c 7 march 1813 rushden hertford
4: mary huffer 24 dec 1815 rushden hertford
5: ann huffer 31 may 1818
6: john huffer c 18 feb 1821

no information on MARY SHEPHERD .

janbooth
14-03-2006, 10:48 AM
From the Parish Register Transcripts of Ashwell:

William HUFFER born 1st February 1831, bap 4 July 1831 s James & Martha.
Caroline Anne born 14 April 1834, bap 5 April 1835 d James & Martha.

According to all the census records I have for James HUFFER, he states that his birthplace is Ashwell. How have you connected him back to a James born in Rushden?? I am interested because he is a twig in my Family Tree. James married Martha CONDOR nee KEFFORD (a widow previously married to Thomas CONDOR) on 4 July 1830 at Ashwell. As Peter said she died in 1840 at Ashwell.

Janet.

hyatt
14-03-2006, 2:32 PM
From the Parish Register Transcripts of Ashwell:

William HUFFER born 1st February 1831, bap 4 July 1831 s James & Martha.
Caroline Anne born 14 April 1834, bap 5 April 1835 d James & Martha.

According to all the census records I have for James HUFFER, he states that his birthplace is Ashwell. How have you connected him back to a James born in Rushden?? I am interested because he is a twig in my Family Tree. James married Martha CONDOR nee KEFFORD (a widow previously married to Thomas CONDOR) on 4 July 1830 at Ashwell. As Peter said she died in 1840 at Ashwell.

Janet.

on the index for caroline huffer death in australia states her mother was martha clifford
she was named as caroline huffers mother.

marriage in IGI says martha condor.1830
so now I know she is the same person.
clifford, kefford, condor
there is a james huffer born 15 july 1810 in rushden
so the person i got this information from probably made the asumption they were the same huffers..as they had named their children by similar names , william, james .
it seems they are 2 different james huffers as the one from rushden married a sarah gray 1828

very easy to go off track when you dont have access to certificates and rely on indexes and mispelt names etc and the kindnesses of others who have sent me information over the years.
sometimes that information can be incorrect so it is good to have others to help in tree growing.
it seems i will have to do a bit of pruning..I only had a few names off track so it is good to get back on the right branches again.

I havent checked my huffer twigs for a while as I have been trying to find closer rellies. and only recently started checking on them as
caroline ann huffer married thomas benjamin marriott
my great great grandfather
their daughter annie louise marriott married samuel william ball
my great grandfather
if you are interested in the family of caroline ann huffer let me know as it seems we are rellies

petercornish
14-03-2006, 4:19 PM
Here are the census details for James Huffer.
1841. High Street, Ashwell.
JAMES HUFFER 37 Ag Lab William Huffer 10 Caroline Huffer 7
Edward Condor 19 Sophia Condor 13 William Robinson 25 Bricklayer Mary Ann Robinson 24
The next item on the return was the Lucas family - Richard Lucas age 38 ratcatcher and his wife Mary Ann Hudswell Lucas 38 and their nine children and his father William Lucas age 73also a ratcatcher.
William was buried 12 Aug 1841 and Richard 26 Apr 1849 both at Ashwell.

1851 Manstown End, Ashwell.
JAMES HUFFER Lodger Widower 47 Ag Lab. b.Ashwell
William Huffer Son U 20 Ag Lab and Caroline Dau U 17 Straw Plaiter
(Lodging with Edward Condor 29 Ag Lab, wife Hannah 28, Emma 7 and Thomas 5.
On the same page the Lucas family. Mary Ann Lucas Widow 48 Straw Plaiter born Baldock and eight children all born Ashwell. This make a total of 12 children.

1861 Manstown End, Ashwell.
JAMES HUFFER Head M 57 Ag Lab b.Ashwell
Mary Ann Huffer Wife M 58
Rachel Ann Lucas DinL U 31 Bonnett Sewer
Emily Lucas DinL U 30 Straw Plait Worker
William Lucas SinL U15 Ag lab.

I was going to ask the same question as Janet about James of Rushden. There is a record of a James Huffer age 18 being buried in Rushden 20 Oct 1828.

janbooth
15-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Hyatt,

We are obviously very distant rellies - my gggrandfather's brother John DOVER married Catherine HUFFER who was the daughter of William HUFFER, the brother of your James (gets a bit complicated doesn't it!!). If you would like me to, I can email you the info I have on James and his ancestors - I haven't gone that far back because I have concentrated on more direct lines, but I do have quite a lot of information re Ashwell (my mother was born there and certain lines of her family go back to the early 1600's in that parish). Let me know if you would like what I have.

Janet.

petercornish
15-03-2006, 4:23 PM
I searched the Ashwell parish records today at Hertfordshire RO and the 1830 entry reads ...

JAMES HUFFER bachelor otp and MARTHA CONDER widow otp were married by banns on 4th July 1830. Witnesses Thomas Warboys and Mary Ann Huffer.
(James and Martha made their marks whilst the two witnesses signed).

I also found a christening - 9th December 1804 JAMES s/o John and Mary HUFFORD.
The date and place ties in with the subsequent census details, but the surname is slightly different.

There was no sign of a Marriott christening at Redbourne during the period 1794 - 1805.

Regards ... Peter

hyatt
16-03-2006, 1:46 AM
[
There was no sign of a Marriott christening at Redbourne during the period 1794 - 1805.

Regards ... Peter[/QUOTE]

just found the christening details of martha kefford and her siblings 8 of them all christened at steeple morden
also the name of her parents
cant find anything else though on them
nathaniel kefford and ann skinner married 15 oct 1783
steeple morden

my thanks to you all I would not have found them if you hadnt given me all this info about them as i was searching under the name clifford as per the death reg index in aus

IGi mentions thomas benjamin marriott 13 july 1828 redbourne
and that george thomas marriott married mary geddes 15 june 1824 at redbourne.
and had a son named george later that year in abbotts langley
19 DEC 1824
thats all the info i have on the marriotts till they arrived in aus.
they are swimmers too as i cant find the migration details either

David Ferris
11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Hyatt,

I would be interested in any further information you have, Thomas and Caroline were my gg grand parents, I have some information on their family here in Australia.

David

hyatt
19-07-2006, 3:01 PM
Hi Hyatt,

I would be interested in any further information you have, Thomas and Caroline were my gg grand parents, I have some information on their family here in Australia.

David
hi david it seems we are rellies they are my gg grandparents as well. which line are you from we are from their daughter annie louise marriott. I would love to get as much info as possible on the family I do have some but any extra info is always appreciated.