PDA

View Full Version : Jones family in St. Harmon

Melissa Jones
05-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone ,

Have just found this website so I thought that I would add my family details in case anyone else has any ideas/suggestions etc.

My great grandmother, Ellen Jane Jones, was born at Bryn, St. Harmon in May 1875. According to her birth certificate, her mother's name was Anne Jones (no father's name was listed) who also lived at Bryn. However, Ellen's marriage certificate lists her parents as Edward Jones (a butcher) and Anne Owens. I have tended to disregard these two names though as she also gave other false information on the marriage certificate. Ellen died in Australia in 1925 (I have had no luck in trying to find when she came to Australia although it would have been before September 1911 [when my grandfather was born]).

Anyway, that's the details I have at the moment. If anyone has come across my great grandmother's family in their research (or has any suggestions), please feel free to reply.

Melissa

Wirral
06-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Melissa

Welcome to the forum. :)
This could be your family (by the way, Bryn just means "hill").
1881 census RG11/5475 folio 84 page 7, Bryn, St Harmon - Cennarth, Radnorshire
Hugh Jones head widower 71 Farmer 60 acres, St Harmon Radnorshire
Ann Jones dau Unmar 34 Farmers dau., St Harmon
Ann Rees boarder U 70 Pauper, St Harmon
Hugh Jones grandson U 17 Farm servant indoor, St Harmon
Eleanor Jones grandau U 6, St Harmon

Melissa Jones
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Wirral.

Yep, I think that's them. I haven't been able to find other strong links on the 1881 census. I've accessed most of the available census records for "Bryn" and have come across quite a few names. If my Ellen is the same Eleanor listed in the 1881 census, then a possible family tree would be:

Hugh Jones (b. between 1805 and 1810 in Radnorshire) married Eleanor Rice from Nantmel (born around 1808). Their children were Hugh, David, THomas, Evan (married Mary ? and had children: Mary Eleanor, Evan, William, David, Elizabeth & Thomas), Eleanor, Anne (b. 1843, St. Harmon - who is probably the mother of the Eleanor & Hugh listed in the 1881 census) & Mary.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa