PDA

View Full Version : Sneyd Family (or Snyead/Snayd)

RLucyg
01-03-2006, 6:27 PM
I have found an ancestor of mine Theodosia Sneyd born in 1786 in Audley, Staffs. Her father was a Samuel Sneyd. I believe the Sneyd name is quite big in Staffordshire, and was wondering if there was a way of finding if there was a link.

clarefmshaw
01-03-2006, 7:06 PM
One set of my paternal great-grandparents (surname Dobson) both worked in service at Keele Hall in N Staffs, ancestral home of the Sneyd family (Ralph Sneyd was in residence at the time they worked there - late 19th/early 20th centuries). The Keele Hall estate is now encompassed by the Keele University campus.

I have quite a bit of info on the (Keele) Sneyd family, as a background to my family history interests, although I'm afraid I have no genealogical info which might help you link your line to the "posh" Sneyds! I would be surprised if there WASN'T a link as it's quite an unusual surname and Audley isn't far from Keele.

Have you any further information on Theodosia and Samuel? The Keele University Library has alot of information on the Sneyd family, so it might be worth contacting them to see if they can help:

Keele University Library Helpdesk
Telephone: (01782 58) 3535
Email: [email protected]

best wishes
Clare

sadler
01-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Hallo.

The National Burial Index has some 378 burials for the name SNEYD from
various locations throughout Staffordshire in cluding Audley and Keele.

Do you know who Theodosia married, there are quite a few with this name
and again in most of the same locations.

Mike.

RLucyg
05-03-2006, 7:21 PM
This is the record form IGI of her marriage;
Staffordshire: Newcastle under Lyme - Parish Registers, 1771-1812 Marriages Marriages 1804 County: Staffordshire Country: England 24 Jun 1804 Samuel Hawthorn and Theodosia Sneayd both of Stoke Witnesses - John Hawthorn Alice Marsh

and her death from BMD;
Name: Hawthorn, Theodosia Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 85 Quarter: September Year: 1870 District: Wolstanton County: Staffordshire Volume: 6b Page: 85

Rachel

uksearch
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Keele University Library Helpdesk
Telephone: (01782 58) 3535
Email: [email protected]

best wishes
Clare
Does the KRA still exist? Spent many a Saturday night in there in the mid seventies.

UK

clarefmshaw
06-03-2006, 4:04 PM
Sorry, UK, you've got me stumped! KRA - Keele RA?? The Keele University Library certainly exists - I spent a day there last year trawling through some of the Sneyd special collections......

Clare

uksearch
07-03-2006, 3:46 PM
Keele Research Association bar...I think it was just a fancy name for a post-grad student union organisation.

UK