PDA

View Full Version : HELP/ADVICE PLEASE? re: RIPLEY and a missing mother!

Rjudith
26-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi I do not know Derbyshire at all and have a birth cert for my mum born in 1947. She was born at Women's Hospital V.D (?). and the address her father gave as residence was 93 Nuttalls Park Ripley. In this box it also states "as per declaration 17th Oct 1947". I understand the declaration was made if the reg was made at a different records office? A friend said it's possible to access the electorol roll for this year at Derbyshire records office? I wonder if that would give details of who granda was living with at that time.

The name given for the mother is down as a married name of Armstrong Formerly Reid. But after searching Reid/Armstrong marriages 1947-1943 we came across nothing. Someone suggests they lied about being married.This lady left the family when my mum was too young to remember (weeks old). The gossip my mum was told was torture for her! Her mum was apparantly sent to prison for bigamy, had gave birth to my mum and returned to her own family of husband and children elsewhere. Which makes me wonder what this declaration was that was spoke about on the birth certificate?

BY THE WAY WE ARE NOT LOOKING TO REUINTE! this is family history only.
I have made it ack to 1605 on my late fathers side but as you can imagine nowhere on mums side as it is painful for her when all she knows is whats on her birth certificate!

If possible can anyone tell me about the address in Ripley? Can anyone access the elec. roll for Oct 1947? Is there internet access to this information? My granda was a miner was there a pit nearby?

Any advice or information greatly appreciated.

Neil Wilson
26-02-2006, 1:50 PM
Hi

If you can, try looking at the archives for the Derbyshire Times newspaper. The bigamy trial might have been reported in there. You can contact them direct via http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/
There is also a link to the local Ripley paper, but its archives online only goes back to 1997.
Neil

Rjudith
26-02-2006, 2:30 PM
Thanks I will contact them to see if they did report anything!
Judith

Rjudith
31-01-2008, 1:15 AM
Hi does anybody know if I can search the roll online? I have tried various methods of finding this lady since this last post but still nothing? Any information/tips very welcome.
Thanks in advance

v.wells
31-01-2008, 4:43 AM
you could try contacting the police for incidents reports and how to find any info relating to the trial eg: when it was held, party names involved at http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/local/60.html. Also TNA also keep records some criminal proceedings. I would attempt to contact the police archivist.

Rjudith
31-01-2008, 5:39 PM
Hi thanks for your reply. I have emailed them many thanks for that information. The bigamy was a rumour but I have never disregarded it on the off chance! I did contact the newspaper a couple of years ago, however they could not locate any information. I will also contact Durham constabulary just incase the offence occured when they came back to Spennymoor as it was only 5 months after my mum was born that Joyce disappeared.
Any further tips/advice is always welcome.
Many thanks again
Judith