PDA

View Full Version : WW2 ~ R.A.F. / R.A.A.F. Personel

Rove
26-02-2006, 5:20 AM
I am trying to trace any relatives of an RAAF Officer that I met in 1945.
Its most likely that by now he's passed away.

His name GRIMSHAW, do not know his first name. He was a Sqd. Leader Ground Crew attached to R.A.F. 137MU serving in Malta.

He wore an Australian uniform. I'm guessing that his age in 1945 was about 35 to 40. I'm thinking he was UK born and joined the RAAF in Australia.

How do I go about searching for him in RAF or RAAF records ?

The unit was definetly RAF 137 Maintenance Unit. I can recall quite a few names of officers who worked with him.

Neil Wilson
26-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi
You could try the RAF records centre at http://www.raf.mod.uk/info/faqs_2.html
or the RAAF at http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/defence/the_services.html
Not sure how the systems work with releasing information to anyone who is not connected with the family.

You could also try the forces reunited site.

Regards
Neil

haylierose
13-05-2006, 6:37 PM
GRIMSHAW CLIFFORD GEORGE : Service Number - N241696 : Date of birth - 24 Nov 1890 : Place of birth - WAKEFIELD ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - KOGARAH NSW : Next of Kin - GRIMSHAW HANNAH.

GRIMSHAW WALTER : Service Number - W85993 : Date of birth - 11 Aug 1890 : Place of birth - BURNLEY : Place of enlistment - NORTHCLIFFE WA : Next of Kin - GRIMSHAW ELIZABETH.

walters servise records are able to be veiwed at the national archives in australia web site . go straight to the record search function in the kewords or name box type in his last name in the reference number box type b884 an 21 matches will be found scroll down and both theses will be there they are the only two R.A.A.F personel who were born in the uk.

nickgrimshaw
29-11-2007, 2:14 PM
If you did not already know Clifford is listed on the 1891 Census in (1 Mosley Street?)Sandal Magna, Wakefield with the following details:-
Clifford George Grimshaw aged 4 Months Born @ Sandal
Frank Outhwaite Grimshaw (Father) aged 25 Dyeworks Clerk, born @ Leeds
Margaret Grimshaw (Mother) aged 23 born @ Adel, Leeds

In the BMD Indexes Clifford George Grimshaw is listed as being born between Jan-March 1891 @ Wakefield Ref. Volume 9c Page10

Furthermore on the 1901-1936 Australian Electoral Rolls he appears in 1930 as being at 9 Heber Street, Barton, New South Wales (listed 2647 and as a Labourer) there was also a Hannah Grimshaw listed (2648)
& in 1936 he is at "Araluen", Stanley Street, Barton NSW (listed as 2278 and as a Motor Driver) Hannah is listed as 2279 being there as well and doing Home Duties

Unfortunately, there does not at the moment, appear to be any connection with the many Grimshaws in my tree, even though my family were in and around the Wakefield district at the time.
Good Luck
Nick Grimshaw

peter nicholl
29-11-2007, 3:31 PM
Furthermore on the 1901-1936 Australian Electoral Rolls he appears in 1930 as being at 9 Heber Street, Barton, New South Wales (listed 2647 and as a Labourer) there was also a Hannah Grimshaw listed (2648)
& in 1936 he is at "Araluen", Stanley Street, Barton NSW (listed as 2278 and as a Motor Driver) Hannah is listed as 2279 being there as well and doing Home Duties
Good Luck
Nick Grimshaw
Hi Nick
If you wouldn't mind, can you give me any information on Ernest Algernon Nicholl and Caroline Nicholl (any others at the same address) for the 1936 Electoral Roll in Fawkner, Victoria? Ernest went on to become a Pilot Officer in the RAAF in WWII. Thanks
Peter

Rove
30-11-2007, 1:06 AM
I have found a photo of Sqd Leader Grimshaw

This was taken in Malta outside the Officers Quarters in 1945

He is sitting behind Flying Officer or Flight Lt. Smith.

Can some of you have guess at what age he looks like.

I figured he was 35 to 40 yrs of age in 1945. He was definetly a Sqd Ldr. and wore an Australian uniform.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/greenrover/Grimshaw_Smith_Malta_1945.jpg

Rove
15-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Thought it would be nice to let you know that after spending the last ten years searching on the Web plus many years searching by snail mail, I have finally succeeded in making contact with the family of Sqd Ldr Grimshaw who served in Malta c1944.

This decent man helped me to get an apprenticeship with the RAF in Malta in 1945. It was tough times in Malta at the end of WW2 as thousands of men who were employed by the Military were being laid off. I was very lucky to get a break.

This man wore an Australian uniform and was attached to the RAF. Never knew his first name and all I had to go by was the name Grimshaw, he wore an Aussie uniform and I always figured he was about 35yrs of age in 1945.

Next thing I found a Thomas Wrigley Grimshaw who joined the RAAF in West Aust in 1940.

I knew the RAF Unit as 137 MU but after posting many messages in various RAF Forums I never made any headway.

A week ago I found Thomas Wrigley Grimshaw b c1840 who was a very famous medical man in Ireland. After more searching and a few more e-mails I finally hit the jackpot.

Sqd Ldr Thomas Wrigley Grimshaw b 1908 In Devon was the grandson of Thomas Wrigley Grimshaw b c1840 who moved to Ireland and became a very well known person.

I've already have received three wonderful letters from his niece in Belfast. And part of my letters have now been added in this huge Grimshaw Family Site in USA.

Now I can rest my search. I am a very happy man. So remember 'never give up'.

The Grimshaw Family Site - USA.

www.
grimshaworigin.org/WebPages/IrshLine.htm

www.
grimshaworigin.org/index.htm

--------------

Jane Gee
15-06-2009, 5:09 PM
What a lovely story and a brilliant end :)
Congratulations Jane