PDA

View Full Version : Medal Card Codes

mike_weller
22-02-2006, 2:10 PM
Hello,
Having found my maternal grandfathers Medal Card I need some help in interpreting the information on it. Superimposed on 'Victory' in the medal column, is the following. X Lab. Corps. Under the 'Roll' column is Off/225. Under the 'Page' column is 51/E. This is ditto'd on the next line down, on top of the 'British' in the medal column, and the two lines are then bracketed with 1.Y. (or V)X/4853 M16-5.22 NM/7/5915.
There is nothing written across the Star line.
At the bottom, against 'Theatre of War first served in', is(1) and agaist 'Date of entry therein', is 27-3-18.
In the bottom right hand corner is written, nw/7/5915
K1380
ne/699
The K1380 appears to be pre printed on the form.
It is my understanding that many members of the Labour Corps were drafted in from elsewhere if they were unfit for normal duties. If this were the case with my grandfather, how do I find details of his original regiment?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the hope that someone is able to help.

Mike Weller

Terry Reeves
22-02-2006, 6:23 PM
Mike

The first abbreviations you mentioned refers to the actual medal roll: Off/225 page 51 E, which can only be seen at the National Archive. Using this reference , you will then need to consult a separate printed catalogue to determine the document number, in fact a ledger, which you need to order. It may, or may not, show which unit of the Labour Corps he served with. In this case he was an officer as indicated by the abbreviation.

The number 1 indicates that the theatre of war he served in was Western Europe (France) and the date was the day he disembarked in the theatre of war. The X against "Labour Corps" indicates what was to be imprinted on the edge of the medals after his name. The other abbreviations are of no significance to the researcher.

To sum up: He was an officer entitled to the British War and Victory medals named to the Labour Corps whose medal entitlement was earned in France and disembarked on 27 March 1918. To find the medal roll, you need the reference number above.

It may be worth checking to see if he had another index card, not an unusuall occurance, to see if he served in the UK as an other rank, perhaps in a different unit, although this will not show any medal entitlement of course.

He may also have a file in the WO 339 series of documents. Use the National Archive web site Catalogue to see if this exists.

Terry Reeves

keith9351
22-02-2006, 6:41 PM
Just to add to what Terry said, a Ivor Lee owns a site about The Labour Corps and offers help and advice, I've never used the site but it could be of use to you.

Keith

mike_weller
22-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Terry and Keith,
Thank you very much for your replies.
Somewhere, I have a 1918 Christmas greeting to my grandfather, sent to him by the King and Queen, while he was in hospital.
My mother told me that he was gassed, although she never mentioned where. He always suffered from respiratory problems and died relatively young early on in the 2nd World War. How could I follow this up?
Mike

maisie
23-03-2006, 7:00 PM
Hi,

very new to this site, felt the need to put in this link.....the site is just so helpful with interpreting medal cards, it's just a mass of information....go check it out!

Maisie

mike_weller
30-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Maisie.
Mike

Carrie Meerten
31-03-2006, 4:24 AM
I know I would like to chase up some of my medal cards at The National Archives but from where I am its impossible. Frustrating really, but understand that not everything can be put online for searching.............such a big task !!!! Can't afford the researcher either (if there is one).

mike_weller
01-04-2006, 3:13 PM
Carrie,
Take a look at this site. The chap that runs it is very helpful and makes regular trips to Kew. He is making a visit soon, and is going to look at some Service Records for me, at a very reasonable price.

Mike

ali80ca
24-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Retd.(992KR1923) 8362/Adt

I am looking for some explanation of what this means when it appears on a medal card.

Thanks in advance
Alison

Alex Ewen-French
02-10-2007, 3:45 PM
Retd.(992KR1923) 8362/Adt
I am looking for some explanation of what this means when it appears on a medal card.
Alison
I think it refers to the medals being returned for adjustment under King's Regulations para 992 of 1923. Probably for a correction to the name or number.

Alex