PDA

View Full Version : Lilly family 2nd Marriage

lindsey
20-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I am trying to find out who my great grandfathers second wife was and when this marriage occured?

My great grandfather Thomas James Randolph Lilly, we assume ,married for a second time to a woman only known to us as Ellen Rooker ?(maiden name not known) but known to the family as Ma or Mar. We assume they were married as they were photographed together on a formal wedding photograph of my grandfather, William Leslie Lilly and his bride Ethel Lilly (nee Rothwell) on 26/12/1923.

The marriage of Thomas must have taken place between 1909 onwards as his first wife, my great grandmother Phoebe Ann Lilly died in 1908 and was interred in the family grave at St Georges, Kings Norton.

I have searched all the BMD index for his marriage from 1908 to 1925 and come up with nothing!!

The only information I have about his second wife is from a funeral reciept from N Wheatley and Sons Ltd of 51, Station St, Birmingham dated 18/2/1947. It states her name was Ellen Rooker Lilly. She died on 14/2/1947 and was interred at Cofton Hackett Parish Church, Reg No:668 Plan Ref C.K.5. Her last address was 26, Ashmead Drive, Rednall, B.ham. According to the reciept the family paid for a 'grave for one' but it also states ' Interred in family Grave'.

I have sent for the death cert of Ellen Lilly and await it as I type this to try and gleen some info.

My puzzle is this. Where would I start searching re Parish Registers for the second marriage?

My great Grandfather (Died 1937) and is buried at St Georges, Kings Norton with his first wife, Phoebe Ann Lilly and his daughter Frances Gertrude Lilly. His second wife Ellen Lilly is buried at Cofton Hackett Parish Church. I havent been to either of these places yet as i am only just beginning my research. These are two different Parishes and I dont know where to start or infact understand what Parish to search or how to research the register. I think Cofton Hackett is in Worcestershire, hence my post here.
Any help will be appreciated for this novice!!!

Regards

Lindsey