PDA

View Full Version : Business or house tenancy??

Julie Tyrell
20-02-2006, 4:54 PM
Hi

I am new to all this and want to know if it possible to find out who owned a particular business or premises in the 1920-30's?? Is so is this a trip to London??

Thanks

Geoffers
20-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Finding the owner of premises then may be difficult. Is this a private house, shop, factory? If commercial premises, is the owner likely to have lived on the property?

If the property was sold at any time, it is almost certain to have been advertised. If it was a business, you may find the owner's name on the advert. The problem then is locating when it was sold and the advert. Can you trace the property in any directory?

A few years earlier, possibly too early for you, there are the records created under the Finance Act 1910. See TNA's research guide http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=102

The title of the thread includes the word 'tenancy' - are you after tenants, or owners?

Geoffers

Julie Tyrell
05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I am trying to find out when a person took ownership of a house about 1927- 1945, the property apparent was sold, demobilshed and new houses were built in its place. I haven't been able to confirm this, though I can't find a post code for the house (9 Vale Road, Ramsgate); the rest of the street is listed.

How can I find out who owned 9 Vale Road and when it was sold??
thanks Julie

Ed McKie
06-04-2006, 8:10 AM
I am trying to find out when a person took ownership of a house about 1927- 1945, the property apparent was sold, demobilshed and new houses were built in its place. I haven't been able to confirm this, though I can't find a post code for the house (9 Vale Road, Ramsgate); the rest of the street is listed.

How can I find out who owned 9 Vale Road and when it was sold??
thanks Julie

I was about to suggest that the rates books for the area should provide the info you require. When making similar enquiries I have found the rate books in a Local History Library. However, Thanet District Council does not appear to have a Local History Library as Libraries there come under Kent County Council. Couldnt seen an email address for Thanet, otherwise would suggest emailing and asking where the old rate books are held. Otherwise ask Kent Archives if they hold them for the period that interests you.

Cheers..Ed

Peter Goodey
06-04-2006, 8:43 AM
Ramsgate Rate Books, if anywhere, will presumably be at the East Kent Archives Centre which Julie knows all about now.

Julie Tyrell
06-04-2006, 9:13 AM
Thanks Ed and Peter,

I will ring Dover today, at last I am making progress with my Ramsgate family.

My advise to anyone is if you come to brickwall sometimes you have to take a different route to get over or around it rather than sitting there hitting you head on it. The most unexpected information can lead back to where you need to be.

Good luck to all
Julie

Julie Tyrell
14-04-2006, 1:29 PM
I have managed to access the rate books for Ramsgate for 1918-1922, which were very informative. I still need to know when the occupation of a business/flat changed from my g.grandfather to his sister, in Ramsgate and the rate books for 1924-1932 are currently unavailable (no one knows where they are!!).

I wondered if some could tell me when P.O Directories became available and who will have a copy.

Also, were Kelly's directories produced every year, as I am having a problem accessing the 1925/7,8,9. I have seen the 1930, when did they stop producing them?

Thanks Julie