PDA

View Full Version : I found another Me!

Diane Grant-Salmon
25-10-2004, 10:28 AM
I knew that my Gr. Grandfather, Thomas Henry FORREST died in 1911 in Spennymoor, Co. Durham ..... his death was registered by my Grandfather.

In the 1901 Census Online, I found my Grandfather and siblings living with their Uncle in Durham, but no trace of my Gr. Grandfather and Gr. Grandmother, Mary Ann.

However, a search produced a Thomas Henry with correct age, birthplace and occupation, living in Hunslet, Leeds, Yorkshire, so I bought the image.

He had a wife, Elizabeth who was 22 years his junior! and a son, John Whitmore FORREST aged 2. With great help from a friend who searched BMD Indexes for me and after purchasing Certs. I found out that Mary Ann had died in October 1891, Thomas Henry 'dumped' their children on his brother, married Elizabeth WHITMORE and moved to Leeds.

Following the line of the son from the second marriage, I was able to trace and contact another Diane FORREST (my maiden name) four years my junior, living in Spennymoor ...... we were both very thrilled! :)

Just as I didn't know about Thomas Henry's second marriage, Diane didn't know about his first one. My Grandfather was obviously so upset about being 'dumped' ..... he never mentioned his Parents to my Father. It's such a shame that my Father NEVER knew that he had a Cornish Grandmother (Mary Ann nee BOWDEN) ...... as he adored Cornwall and spent many happy holidays there.

Martha
03-11-2004, 9:18 PM
Checking through the BMDs, I found my entry and another of the same name in the same district just a couple of pages away from me... spooky!

I hope to live to be a hundred, then I can purchase the census and see who the other me is :-)