PDA

View Full Version : WW2 coffins

grantaire
15-02-2006, 9:44 PM
Hi,

I have the death cert. of my uncle who was drowned in the river Derwent while on manoeuvers with the Highland Light Infantry in October 1943.They were stationed at Sledmere.The Cert. states he had drowned and there was no post mortem and that his body was found at Stamford Bridge near York.There has always been a mystery about his coffin.When the body was returned to Scotland it was sealed with a M.O.D. warning that anyone opening the coffin would be prosecuted.My family were also told to bury him 7 feet under instead of the usual 6 feet.This sounds very odd to me if he had simply drowned.Was this normal practice or could he have been gassed or something.Can any one help?
Regards
Grantaire

grantaire
14-03-2006, 7:54 PM
It's simple really but not something anyone thought of.The MOD warning label was put on to deter anyone en route from York to Glasgow interfering with the contents as it had to be taken by train or lorry. It was not directed at the parents. He was buried deeper because he was buried in a family plot and there had to be enough room to put the rest of the family on top when their time came and still be six feet under.
I hope I didn't waste anyone's time on this simple problem.
regards to all
Grantaire