PDA

View Full Version : 'Tigers' 6th battalion Leicershire Regiment

GrandadDan
15-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi, I have an ongoing puzzle about my grandmother's brother. We have a medallion which has F McMillan and a picture of palm trees and Baghdad 1816 on one side and on the the other side it has Houdistan(sp!) and Tigers on it. I found Frank McMillan in Epsom, Suurey with his father Alexander in the 1901 census and yet the regiment concerned with the 'Tigers' is a Leicestershire one.
I've found 2 possible F McMillans in the Medals section online but I can't find a marriage or death on 1837online.com He was born in Croydon in !882.
Any advice please on how I can proceed?
Jill

Terry Reeves
15-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Jill

6th Battalion the Leicestershire Regiment only served on the Western Front - from 29.7.15, with 37th Division. Ony the 2nd Leicesters served in Mesopotamia, as part of the 7th (Meerut) Division. A search for his service record at the National Archive may be the best bet given that you have his date of birth. Unfortunately they are not complete as around 60% were destroyed in WW2.

Terry Reeves

Geoffers
15-02-2006, 2:40 PM
You might try going back a generation. When did Alexander die? Did he leave a will and if so does it give an indication as to whether his son Frank was still alive and his whereabouts?

You mention searching 1837online - does this include the overseas records?

Have you tried searching the CWGC web-site to find other F McMillans - do any of them match up those who received medals in WW1 so that they can be eliminated?

Whilst you may only have found two Franks, have you also tried searching under Francis? Could Frank have had another first name? Have you tried searching the medal roll using just the surname and in the 'corps' field, entering 'Leicestershire'?

People did enlist in regiments with which they appears to have no connection. Does the reference to tigers on the medallion definitely relate to his regiment?

Geoffers

GrandadDan
15-02-2006, 8:29 PM
Thank you for your responses. I will mobilise my information and respond later.
In the 1901 census - Frank was Francis Joseph McMillan.
Jill