PDA

View Full Version : Pallot's Lookup Please?

Carol G
15-02-2006, 9:04 AM
I am a newbie and hope that it is OK to request a lookup on Pallot's? I am searching for a marriage for John CALF b 1790 to Alice/Annie or possibly Maria Annie HOLMES up to and including 1827. He re-married then and states he was a widower, but it is a possiblity that his first wife was not deceased at that time. I have one child, John CALF born 1816, though there could be others. Many thanks.

janbooth
15-02-2006, 10:01 AM
There is a marriage on Boyds Marriage Index of a Jn CALF to An HOLMES at Westminster (St George Hanover Square), Middlesex in 1817. Hope this helps.

Janet.

Carol G
17-02-2006, 8:29 AM
Janet,
Thank you! This is probably my man. My cousin and I have been searching for this marriage for some time. Old English records are not easy to locate in Australia. Thanks so much.
|woohoo|
Any suggestions as to where/whether siblings may be located?

Thanks
Carol

janbooth
17-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I think you will have to look at the actual marriage entry to see if you can get any clues as to where John is from and try to trace him from there. Perhaps if you put a request on the London section, someone may already have transcripts of St George, Hanover Square and be able to give you details. I'm afraid I know nothing about London records as it is one of the places my direct ancestors never migrated to!! There is this entry in the 1851 census of a John CALF in Middlesex, but who knows if it is the correct one without any corroborative evidence:

HO107/1482, folio 22, page 36
Schedule 133, 23 St Mar Court, St Martins in the Field, Westminster

John CALF Head Mar 60 Licensed Victualler St Giles in the Fie
Maria do Wife do - Trimming Maker Suffolk Sudbury
Katherine do Dau U 14 Assistant at Bar Surrey Camberwell

It looks as if there has been a small 60 added later next to the age column for Maria. Sorry not to have been of more help.

Janet.

Carol G
18-02-2006, 6:34 AM
Thanks Jan, Yes that is my man, now on his third marriage. Don't know what happened to the first wife! She seems to have just vanished. |banghead| He remarried as a widower in 1827, she died in 1844 and he remarried in 1850. Then went to live a long and healthy life travelling just about all over Australia. He was a sailor -his death certificate states his occupation as "Gentleman".
Thanks for your help, I'll visit the London Forum.
:cool:
Carol