PDA

View Full Version : STEVENS, Hayter Churchill or Samuel or Anna

Christine White
15-02-2006, 2:21 AM
I'm trying to find information on my g-grandfather Hayter Churchill STEVENS.

According to the information he supplied for his marriage certificate (1883) & when registering his daughter's birth (1886), he was born in Mitcham UK approx 1854. His father's name was Samuel Stevens and his mother was Anna Bryan. He also states his father's occupation as 'butler'. He arrived in Australia approx 1872.

A family legend says he ran away from home, & changed his name. I'm beginning to think there may be some truth in this.

I found a record of a marriage between Samuel Stevens & Anna Bryan at Totnes in 1852. No idea if there's a connection.

Chris

sadler
15-02-2006, 4:59 AM
Hello.

The 1861 census has the following for your Stevens.

1861 census

Anna Stevens abt 1816 Dartmouth, Devon, England Head Caterham Surrey
Annie Churchill Stevens abt 1856 Dartmouth, Devon, England Daughter Caterham Surrey
Hayter Churchill Stevens abt 1854 Mitcham, Surrey, England Son Caterham Surrey
Saml Palfard Stevens abt 1858 Dartmouth, Devon, England Son Caterham Surrey

Note*...Anna is recorded as wife of house servant.
Note**...Anna not recorded as a widow.

Hayter is recorded as such in the Vic marriage and births, have you found his
death record.

Mike.

get2BJ
15-02-2006, 1:05 PM
Hi Christine,

Following on from what Mike has posted, Anna and her three children are living in a cottage called Bear Cottage but this could equally read Dear or Dean Cottage. It is very close in proximity (same census page) to the 'big house' called Chelsham House.

One of the employees there is Samuel Stevens aged 56, and he is shown as a house servant. His place of birth is transcribed as Drenusteyton, Devon but this is more likely to be Drewsteignton, Devon. Of the 11 people living in that household 8 are servants! The head is a Mr Charles Hugh Hoare, a Master Brewer.

Both households can be found on the same census reference RG9/445, Folio 66, Page 4. Looks like your man was telling the truth after all!

Best wishes
Brenda