PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong Family

Linda Killingbeck
15-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi, I'm in need of help.

Trying to trace my family tree and I have an Arthur and Mary Armstrong both born about 1810 somewhere in Ireland.
They had 7 kids before emigrating from Ireland Isabelle b:1831, Mary b: 1833, James b:1834 William b:1837, David b:1840, and Eliza & Thomas birth dates unknown.
They settled in Durham County Ontario Canada in 1845.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Linda

GeoffD
10-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Sorry, cannot help, but I too am a bit stuck on an Armstrong name. My Great-greatgrandmother was Harriet Armstrong, b. 8 December 1824 probably somewhere in Fermanagh or Tyrone. Married Thomas Joseph HALL, abt. 1846, and migrated to Australia on the "Wansfell" in 1865 with 7 children in tow.

JLGreer
23-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Found this post by googling for random Armstrong information.

I have been trying to find out the parents of Isabella Armstrong born 1830/1831 Ireland who married George Greer in Ontario 1847 vis-

TRENT UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

Fonds Level Description

United Counties of Northumberland and Durham: Vital Statistics Records

83-016

TITLE

United Counties of Northumberland and Durham Vital Statistics fonds. -- 1831-1873. -- 33 cm of textual materials
Unnumbered document (filed in 83-016 Box 1 Folder 4)
A list of marriages by James Douglass, Presbyterian Minister, Cavan, filed 23 March 1849.
Greer, George & Isabella Armstrong, Cavan; witnesses John Armstrong & Arthur Armstrong, "special license" - 17 December 1847

I had a hunch her father to by either Arthur or John Armstrong who witnessed the marriage, or possibly they were brothers of hers. In any case, you must understand my excitement at seeing an Arthur Armstrong with a daughter Isabelle b1831 Ireland, who migrated to Canada before this marriage took place. Whats more, George and Isabella resided in Cavan, Durham Cty Ontario, after their marriage.

on this hunch I searched the Ontario Census project database for both Arthur Armstrong and John Armstrong in 1851, who were of age to be the father, found 3 Johns, and one Arthur. This is the Arthur Armstrong household below (its the only Arthur Armstrong, period, in the available Ontario Census data for 1851-1871 save for a child who apears in 1861-ARMSTRONG, Arthur [age 6] Durham, Cavan Twp ...Note: in Cavan, possibly a nephew to Isabella, grandson of Arthur)-

Oxford, Zorra East Twp 1851 Census

LAST_NAME|FIRST_NAME|OCCUPATION|PLAC_BIRTH|RELIGIO N|AGE SEX|MARITAL|REMARKS|DEATHS|DEATH_CAUSE
Armstrong|Arthur|farmer|Ireland|Episcopal|40|m|mar ried|log 1 & 1
Armstrong|Susannah| |Canada|Episcopa|39|f |married
Armstrong|Mary | |Canada|Episcopal|12|f |single |school
Armstrong|Jacob | |Canada|Episcopal|9 |m|single |school
Armstrong|John | |Canada|Episcopal|6 |m|single
Armstrong|William | |Canada|Episcopal|10 |m|single|10-male|bloody flux
Armstrong|Elizabeth| |Canada|Episcopal|2 |f |single|2-femal|bloody flux
Armstrong|Robert|school teach|Ireland|Episcopal|28|m|sgl|not family member

I still have no idea who could be her parents, since Isabella and George were no longer living in their respective family households by 1851 but were most likely living in Cavan, and as of yet the 1851 Census for Cavan is missing ( lost in the archives of microfiche in Toronto), they do not apear in the Census data until 1861 Cavan.

In conclusion, I suspect that my Isabella Armstrong, may be the Daughter of your Arthur Armstrong based on the marriage license and the age of Isabella given on Census returns of Ontario which puts her birth around 1830/1831 Ireland, coinciding with the age in your data above.

George and Isabella are my GGGGrandparents, I would love to share information with you to validate as to whether this is a match or not.

regards,
J.L. Greer

*edit*
After posting, i did some scouring of my massive collection of notes and came across this-

TRENT UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

Fonds Level Description

Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society

95-002

TITLE

Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society fonds. -- 1940-1992. -- 60 cm of textual records.

Box 1 Family Genealogies
1 Aiken Thomas Henry, Martha Cathcart

2 Argue Henry, Margaret

3 Armstrong Arthur, Mary

4 Armstrong David, Violett

5 Armstrong Joseph, Margaret Deyell

6 Armstrong Robert, Annie Maloney

7 Armstrong William, Jane Lewers

this would appear to be the same Arthur Armstrong, wife Mary, living in Cavan, that you are looking for. Most likely the same Arthur age 40 in 1851 as I posted above, which also coincides with your Arthur. The mystery is Susannah in the 1851...possibly a middle name? (she is also born at the right date to be Mary)

Hall/Swan
22-06-2009, 5:14 PM
Sorry, cannot help, but I too am a bit stuck on an Armstrong name. My Great-greatgrandmother was Harriet Armstrong, b. 8 December 1824 probably somewhere in Fermanagh or Tyrone. Married Thomas Joseph HALL, abt. 1846, and migrated to Australia on the "Wansfell" in 1865 with 7 children in tow.

16th April 1841 Ann dau of Henry + Jane Armstrong (nee Hall) Killymurry, Errigal Shanco Parish

21st April1839 Eliza dau of Henry + Jane Armstrong (nee Hall) Killymurry, Errigal Shanco Parish

10th Jan 1849 Thomas son of Henry + Jane Armstrong (nee Hall) Killymurry, Errigal Shanco Parish

1stOct1843 William son of Henry + Jane Armstrong (nee Hall) Killymurry, Errigal Shanco Parish

3rdApril1846 Margaret dau of Henry Armstrong + Jane Hall Killymurry, Errigal Shanco Parish

11th Nov1845 James Hall son of George Hall of Lenagh married Eliza Armstrong dau of John Armstrong of Killylaragh witnesses Hugh Kelly + Thomas Armstrong