PDA

View Full Version : 1813 Will

Diane Grant-Salmon
12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
COPY WILL OF WILLIAM BOWDEN dated 24 June 1813

In the name of God Amen. I William Bowden of the Parish of Constantine in the County of Cornwall Yeoman being weak in body but of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding, thanks be to God, knowing the uncertainty of this Life, and that it is appointed for all men to die, do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament.

First and principally I recommend my Soul into the hands of Almighty God, that gave it, and my body to the Earth to be decently Buried at the discretion of my Executrix hereinafter named -

Secondly I give unto my beloved Wife Avis Bowden, all my Estate in Tregantallon, in the Parish of Constantine, except what shall be given to my daughter Jane Martin out of it, as will be said, and all the life and dead stock with all the household goods during her natural life if she lives shall so long happen to live if she remain a Widdow and to Maintain and Rear up the Children with the Incomes and profits thereof, but if she Marries again then she is to receive five pounds and Deliver up all to Guardians that will be hereafter named in case she should marry again -

Thirdly I give unto my Daughter Avis Martin the now Wife of John Martin Thirty pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named -

Fourthly I give unto my Daughter Jane the now Wife of Edward Martin the House she now lives in with a quarter of Acor of Potatoe ground and turfe with Forty Staves of furze, and to keep or graze a Cow on the Premises of Tregantallon during her natural life -

Fifthly I give unto my Daughter Mary Pascoe the now Wife of William Pascoe Ten pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named -

Sixthly I give unto my Daughter Ann Perry the now Wife of William Perry Forty five pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named -
continued .....

Diane Grant-Salmon
12-02-2006, 10:30 AM
continued .....

Seventhly I give unto my Daughter Grace Trezzider the now Wife of Francis Trezzider Fifty pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named -

Eighthly I give unto my Daughter Alice Bowden Fifty pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named -

Ninethly I give unto my Daughter Christiana Bowden Fifty pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named -

Tenthly I give unto my Daughter Harriot Bowden Fifty pounds to be paid at the Expiration of six years from the date hereof by my Executrix hereinafter named, and if my Son William Marries with Margaret Tremayne then She shall Receive Ten pounds a year during her natural life after the death of Mary Reynolds in addition to the above to be paid by my Son William out of the Estate that Wearn Dunstone now liveth on -

Eleventhly I give and bequeath unto my Son William Bowden all that part of Savorgan in the said Parish of Constantine that Wearn Dunstone now rents to be his at my decease, and likewise another tenement in the said Parish called by the name of Candern Water after the Expiration of six years from the present date so long as Mary Reynolds lives, and after her decease Candern Water is to be given to my Son James Bowden, and if William marry as said above then to pay Harriot as it is ordered above Ten pounds a year -

Twelfthly I give unto my Son James Bowden all that part of Savorgan in the said Parish of Constantine now in my possession and late in the possession of Sampson Reynolds and after the decease of Mary Reynolds Candern Water is to return to him the part of Savorgan to be his after the Expiration of six years from the present date -
continued .....

Diane Grant-Salmon
12-02-2006, 10:31 AM
continued .....

Thirteenthly all the rest residue and remainder of my Goods Chattles and Effects money Security for money of what nature or sort not given or bequeathed, I give and bequeath unto my two Sons William and James after James shall arrive at the age of twenty one years Share and Share alike - and my further Will is, that if either of my said Sons shall die without issue lawfully begotten then his part or share, shall return to the surviving Son -

Lastly I nominate and appoint my Beloved Wife Avis Bowden Executrix of this my last Will and Testament and to Receive all such Rents and Income that shall become due to pay off the Legacies at the Expiration of six years or any parts of the said Legacies sooner if she shall think it necessary, or at what time she shall see convenient before the six years are expired, and my Will is if my said Wife after my decease should marry again that Mr. Humphry Harvey and Mr. John Phillips both of the said Parish of Constantine shall have full power and authority to receive the rents and profits of that part of Savorgan given and bequeathed to my Son James together with the rents and profits of Candern Water aforesaid and apply it to payment of Legacies as it shall be come due until James Bowden shall arrive at the age of twenty one years and likewise shall Act as Guardians over the Children and rear them with the Effects that my Widdow shall have given up on her Second Marriage, but not to have any power if my Wife shall remain a Widdow, and I do declare this only to be my last Will and Testament Revoking all former Wills by me made.

In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Twenty fourth day of June One thousand Eight hundred and Thirteen –

Signed Sealed Published and Declared
by the Testator William Bowden as and for Signed and Sealed by
his last Will and Testament in presence of William Bowden
us who in his presence and at his request
and in the presence of each other have
signed our names as Witnesses hereto

Thomas Pryor
Richard Reed Senr.
Richard Reed Junr.

AnnB
12-02-2006, 2:07 PM
Wills are wonderful when they give so much information (and yes, Diane, I agree with what you say on the other thread about Geoffers transcription of the will posted by Peter - fantastic :) )

Out of the ones I have found, the one that really gave me a laugh, was one of my husband's lot who left 'to my daughter Mary's husband, my best yellow silk breeches' or words to that effect. Now, does that mean the son in law was in favour, or didn't his father in law like him very much....... ;) I still can't come to terms with one of Bob's ancestors wearing yellow silk breeches |biggrin|

Best wishes
Ann