PDA

View Full Version : John Chapman of Cornwall

8AA2YM
11-02-2006, 8:29 PM
Hello to all.

I have seen a record for a John Chapman christened 7 Apr 1811 in Egloshayle, Cornwall. I was wondering if anyone had any further information on him. His parents were John Chapman and Catharine. They also had a son Henry christened 26 Aug 1818 in Bodmin.

My particular JOHN CHAPMAN claims on his gravestone, that he was born in about 1816 in Cornwall, England (died May 10, 1903 in Murray Harbour, PEI Canada). He married MARGARET MILLAR on April 02, 1839. She was born about October 1807 in Ecclefechan, Dumfreese, Scotland, and died December 27, 1901 in Murray Harbour, PEI Canada.

Buried next to John and his wife is a man named Henry Chapman and his wife and child. I am only assuming (makes sense) that Henry and John immigrated together and may have been brothers. I can find no record of their passage to North America. I'm hoping that some Chapmans doing research in Cornwall are trying to find the burial sites of these two gentlemen in hopes that we can make a connection.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any ideas as to how I may go about this.

Johnny Chapman
Colorado, USA

Scottie
11-02-2006, 9:01 PM
Hello Johnny,
The parents of this John were John and Catherine Tucker married 6 Feb 1806 in St Mabyn. They had six children that I know of but no Henry. I have not found John in any census.

IpseDixit7963
16-10-2007, 8:50 PM
Appreciate it. I wonder why this John Chapman is so hard to track down.

Hello Johnny,
The parents of this John were John and Catherine Tucker married 6 Feb 1806 in St Mabyn. They had six children that I know of but no Henry. I have not found John in any census.

IpseDixit7963
26-10-2007, 2:38 PM
I found this... (posted in a previous thread)

I saw this one listed on another site:
JOHN CHAPMAN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 07 APR 1811 Egloshayle, Cornwall, England
Father: John - Mother: Catharine

HENRY CHAPMAN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 26 AUG 1818 Bodmin, Cornwall, England
Father: John - Mother: Catharine

I also found the John Chapman to Catharine Tucker marriage in a transcript of St Mabyn.

What do you think? Is there a document or documents I should order from that area that might have a record of the birth of John and Henry?

The dates are a little off from the John and Henry in PEI, but it does seem to be more than a coincidence.

Thank you again. I'll keep you posted.

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

Browneyes
06-06-2008, 8:33 PM
Hello Johnny,

Please please please Scottie could you tell me who the six children are?

I've traced back to John Chapman (born 1811) and know his parents were John & Catherine (believe she was born around 1781 but not sure yet).

Samuel Henry Chapman John Chapman's (b 1811) son was my gt grandfather and his son John Henry Chapman was my Grandfather.

I would be very greatful if you could... :)

Browneyes

MarkJ
06-06-2008, 9:11 PM
Presumably, little Benjamin is one of those cases where the child was not expected to survive long, hence the private baptism. Then, once he grew stronger and was going to pull through, he received a general baptism?

Mark

Browneyes
06-06-2008, 9:18 PM
Bo Peep you are an Angel! Thank you so much

Browneyes x

Browneyes
06-06-2008, 9:22 PM
|jumphappy|grouphug|

Browneyes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Browneyes
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Thankyou :). I'm so happy because my research on the Chapman side had slowed up....I had turned to the surname Cornish via Samuel's wife Elizabeth Cornish, daughter of Thomas and Mary Henwood.

I'm astonished at how many Johns, Williams and Elizabeths I've come across. Not to mention alternatives like Catherine, Kate, Kitty etc. So far it seems that the female names were shortened or altered more than the males.

Browneyes.