PDA

View Full Version : Able seaman

math13
10-02-2006, 2:11 PM
Hello, my name in Mark Thomson. I am trying to trace my greatgrandfather, George Abraham (not sure about middle name) Thomson. It would appear that George was an able seaman, I assume he was born around 1860-1870 as he had a son named Thomas Stephen who was born in 1887

Can anyone help about the 2 individuals or generally about finding information about able seamen

busyglen
10-02-2006, 3:02 PM
Mark, if he was a seaman you might find something here. I've done a quick search, but not knowing where he was born or living, no way of telling if he's there.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchType=browserefine&mediaarray=*&first_date=18800101&last_date=19001231&CatID=15&pageCount=3&query=first%5Fname%3Dgeorge%7Clast%5Fname%3Dthomso n&queryType=1&pageNumber=1&sortSpec=score+desc

I'm not sure if this will display the page, but will update it to see what happens.

Glenys

Well it held, so you can have a look to see if you think he is there. If not, you might find some other information on the Archive site.