PDA

View Full Version : The Desert Rats

flyer
09-02-2006, 5:45 PM
Chat going on in Sheffield Forum,when was the definitive moment the desert rats became known as such.If my memory is correct this name was given to the defenders of Tubruk by Rommel .The general term Desert Rats came at a later date

loneranger
30-07-2006, 2:11 PM
The title of this message caught my interest, because I've never found any particular discussions on it before. I had a relative (now deceased) who served, apparently, in this outfit but as with all military service issues I just don't know where to start finding information. I have a few small photos of him with vehicles and desert scenery in the background.......I was told it was Libya.....I'm afraid my military history knowledge is non-existent.
Are there any service-lists/names, or websites, of people who would have been in this region? I really have nothing to go on, no rank or dates (other than the obvious WW2 period), only his name and birthplace and age.

BeeE586
30-07-2006, 2:35 PM
There is a web site - The History of the British 7th Army Division - which I think will tell you all you need to know.

You may also like to look at the sites for the Long Range Dersert Group. Both cover the war in North Africa very thoroughly.

Eileen

loneranger
01-08-2006, 8:10 AM
Thanks, Eileen...that's very helpful. I shall start having a look at those today.

coenmfam
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
It would appear that "the Desert Rats" and "the Rats of Tobruk" are / were two different things, and this site explains it well

http://www.army.mod.uk/7bde/

cheers
Nev