PDA

View Full Version : Medal Rolls

kenhallock
08-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I have medal rolls for the Coldstream Guards and the King's Own Scottish Borderers for the Boer War. I can do some lookups for those who will furnish a name of a member of either regiment.

Joe Leatham
16-08-2006, 3:17 AM
My grandfather's uncle was in the Coldstream Guards in the Boer War. I would very much like to find out more about him. I don't know his regimental number, but is it possible to look him up by name? His name was Albert Latham. If you can find him in the medal rolls I would very much appreciate any information you have. My e-mail address is

[email protected]

kenhallock
16-08-2006, 3:10 PM
I'll send reply by e-mail. Ken H

At page 93 of the CG medal roll for the QSA it lists. 600 Private Latham, A.
and the following clasps for the QSA: Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johannesburg,
Diamond Hill and Belfast.

At page 241 the same entries appear for entitlement to the QSA.

I found no entry for the KSA Medal.

Joe Leatham
17-08-2006, 2:09 AM
Thank you very much for your reply - that was the information I was looking for, in particular the regimental number which will help in further research. Do you know of the Asplin Military History website? There is a lot of information on Victorian era military history there. Once again, thank you very much for sending me the information about my relative. I do appreciate it.

ness graham
24-08-2006, 7:17 AM
I have medal rolls for the Coldstream Guards and the King's Own Scottish Borderers for the Boer War. I can do some lookups for those who will furnish a name of a member of either regiment.
Dear Mr Hallock

I understand you have the medal rolls for the coldstream guards for the boer war Im not sure now i have re read this, i think my gt uncle was too young for the boer war, i think he was in the coldstream guards in WW1.

In WW1 he would be 22yrs old, is he too young for the other africa wars
the one i have is pvte lancelot barnett reg no. 10564 cold stream guards, motor transport army service corps
is this the right one
he was born in Baston, lincs, was living in Bassingham in 1901, his father robert greenfield barnett a retired policeman and his wife emily barnett nee moyes
any information you could give me would be very much appreciated
kind regards
ness graham

ness graham
24-08-2006, 8:28 AM
Dear Mr hallock
I have just written toyou with reards my gt uncle lancelot barnett, but i have just realised another of my relatives, Lancelots brother William Robert Barnett b 1875 in south ferriby, was not listed in the 1901 census andin 1891 census when he was 15 i couldnt find him anywhere, he would have been 23 in 1899 and i wonder if he could have been in the boer war also, seeing as Lancelot was in the coldstream guards, i have taken a stab and i wonder if William Robert is there too
hopin you may be able to help
kind regards
ness graham

Geoffers
24-08-2006, 8:42 AM
i think my gt uncle was too young for the boer war, i think he was in the coldstream guards in WW1.
WW1 medal cards are available online via TNA's documents online
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

The South African War was over by 1902.

Geoffers

ness graham
24-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Dear Geoffers,
Thankyou for your speedy reply. Could you tell me if there are any records online for the boer war, my gt uncle william robert barnett was old enought to be in the africa wars and he was definitely missing in the 1891 census he would have been 24 in 1899
kind regards
ness graham
thankyou

kenhallock
24-08-2006, 1:46 PM
I find a 9553 Pte. R. Barnett and 1746 Pte. F. Barnett and 3896 Pte. J.E Barnett listed in the QSA section and none under the KSA roll. If any of these are of interest I can send the details.

Geoffers
24-08-2006, 4:56 PM
Thankyou for your speedy reply. Could you tell me if there are any records online for the boer war,
Ther are a couple of sites where some people are listed, the URLs are given in some of the other threads on this forum. To find specific detail about all army presonnel, you basically have to go to TNA at Kew (see the thread on how to find army records for the Boer war). For RN personnel, you can download service records for this period via documents online.

Geoffers

harfin
24-08-2006, 9:53 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of information appears on the medal roll?

I have purchased copies of several medal cards that could relate to my father (died 40 years ago), but I don't know his regiment number nor am I sure about the regiment he served in.

If the medal roll give a date of birth, it would help me narrow down the possibilities.

Alan

ness graham
25-08-2006, 7:25 AM
Dear Geoffers,
I Thankyou so much for your help, the R Barnett pte 9553 in the QA section sounds like he could be the right one, the other two i dont know to be honest, Could you tell me what QSA section and KSA is please i have been searching for robert for so long it is really frustrating
kind regards
ness graham

ness graham
25-08-2006, 7:55 AM
Dear Geoffers,
I Thankyou so much for your help, the R Barnett pte 9553 in the QA section sounds like he could be the right one, the other two i dont know to be honest, Could you tell me what QSA section and KSA is please i have been searching for robert for so long it is really frustrating
kind regards
ness graham

Geoffers
25-08-2006, 2:22 PM
Could you tell me what QSA section and KSA is please i
QSA - Queen's South Africa Medal
KSA - King's South Africa Medal

This last Anglo-Boer war ran until 1902, thus spanning two monarchs. Queen Vic popper her clogs in 1901 when Eddie the Seventh took over the job of monarch.

Geoffers

Geoffers
25-08-2006, 2:27 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of information appears on the medal roll?
There isn't a great deal of in formation in medal rolls. It is mostly a way of confirming a regiment and number and that someone served in a particular campaign.

I have purchased copies of several medal cards that could relate to my father (died 40 years ago), but I don't know his regiment number nor am I sure about the regiment he served in.
Have any photos of him in uniform survived? Do you know what happened to his medals? (name rank, regt and number should be inscribed around the edge of one of them).

Geoffers

harfin
25-08-2006, 7:33 PM
Have any photos of him in uniform survived? Do you know what happened to his medals? (name rank, regt and number should be inscribed around the edge of one of them).
Geoffers

Unfortunately nothing. I only have two photos that include my Dad. Both taken in late life. No trace of any medals. Neither of my older brothers have them either. I migrated to Oz then NZ from the early 1960's and only came back to the UK in the late 90's.

I have two (very hazy) recollections of Dad mentioning his war service. One being that he was in an Irish regiment (his mother was Irish so perhaps there may be something in that). One of the James H Hart's medal cards I have from TNA is for a chap in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

The other recall is that whilst he was recovering in hospital from a shrapnel wounds he was on stage during a performance of Mark Anthony's "Friends Romans, Countryman . . ." speech from Shakespeares Julius Caeser - Dad played Julius Caeser :-)

My brother recalls him saying he served at Gallipoli - and the RDF served at Gallipoli I believe.

Thats all I have!

Alan

JohnCourt
31-10-2006, 4:28 PM
Ken, I have just found out that my GGGFather was a sergeant in the Coldstream Guards in 1893 - and missing in the 1901 census. Is there any chance you could see if you can find him in the Boer War Medal Rolls please?

All I know is that he was called FRANK TOWNSEND, and I am assuming that he was in either the 1st or 2nd bat (as the 3rd hadn't been formed in 1893).

John C

kenhallock
01-11-2006, 2:33 PM
There is this at page 153 of the QSA roll:
7292 Corpl. Townsend, F. with the following checked - Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Belfast. With a note under Remarks of "Discharged ( and looks like) T.E 24 ( The rest unreadable.) Also the same entry at page 261. He does not appear under the KSA roll.

Hope that helps. Ken H

JohnCourt
03-11-2006, 5:19 PM
Fantastic, thanks Ken

John

JohnCourt
03-11-2006, 5:24 PM
Is it possible to get an image so that I can try and decypher the missing words? Or is that being too cheeky :-)

kenhallock
03-11-2006, 8:09 PM
I'll scan and send JPG files. E-mail notification has also been sent. Ken H

rozgroggins
20-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Geoffers

My grandfather served in the Boer war, supposedly with the Coldstream Guards, and was born in 1873-5. The Coldstream Guards have checked their records for him, but can't find him.

We have wondered since if he changed his name, but he always signed himself Thomas Forde, DCM MM. My uncle doesn't think he served in the 1st world war, but he was injured in the Boer war, and collected a £1 a week pension until he died.

I would be grateful if you could check your list for anybody who received the DCM or the MM, that may fit in with him?

Rosemary

Geoffers
20-12-2007, 12:12 PM
My grandfather served in the Boer war, supposedly with the Coldstream Guards, and was born in 1873-5. The Coldstream Guards have checked their records for him, but can't find him.

Hello Rosemary. It's actually Ken Hallock who created the thread and has the roll. However, have you checked TNA's pension records? (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/166.htm) These are for WW1, but he may have served then.

Have you tried looking for Thomas FORD as well as FORDE?

DCMs should appear in the London Gazette (http://www.londongazette.co.uk/home.aspx?GeoType=London)

But don't search on too much - try 'Ford Distinguished Conduct' from 1899-1903

My recollection is that the MM was introduced in 1916 - so he wouldn't have been awarded that for the South African War.

neil1821
20-12-2007, 7:04 PM
The only DCM winner in the Boer War who might possibly fit the bill is 795 Sgt Thomas H.Ford, Army Ordnance Corps, an armourer sergeant attached to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

He appears to have served in WW1 as well.
Geoffers is right, the military medal (MM) didn't exist before 1916.

Neil

rozgroggins
21-12-2007, 12:55 AM
His name alternated between Ford and Forde, on my mam's birth certificate etc, so it could have been either.

He was born in Ireland, so this Thomas Ford could fit the bill. It would be lovely if it was him, as I've been searching for 17 years, and found nothing so far.

My mam thinks he was in the 1st world war, as he spoke about the trenches, and conditions in them. He used to talk about Winston Churchill a lot apparently, because he was there at the same time as him in the Boer war.

I'll check the medal rolls for him, you never know.
Thank you both for your help

Rosemary

Lynda Marie
10-01-2008, 1:20 AM

Ken, is it possible that these rolls would contain the names of English men sent out from Canada? It is a long shot but I would like to get some information on my ggrandfather who went in 1899 and stayed until 1904. His name is William Thomas Edward Rigglesford and he went by the name of Tom. Most of the papers I have for him are William Thomas. Any help would be appreciated. I am relatively new to this forum and hope that you are still out there as your original post was in 2006.

Lynda

monty276
29-01-2008, 12:34 AM
My grandfather's brother James Hill served with the Coldstream Guards in the Boer War. I would very much like to find out more about him. In WW1 he served with the RE and later with the Labour Corps. His service number then was 74624 (RE) and 337123 (LC) I don't know his regimental number with the Coldstream Guards. If you can find him in the medal rolls I would very much appreciate any information you have. Thank you very much. James Hill (The 8th).

brooksa
02-06-2008, 5:40 AM

Hi Ken

Although your post was a while ago I do hope you're still checking it.

I've come across a QSA and KSA awareded to Pte G Ellis (Reg no 8818) Colstream Guards. The name's not been mentioned in family circles and I'm trying to find any information that could help me in my search. I'd appreciate any light you could shed.

Thanks

Alistair

fshep
27-08-2008, 5:09 PM
Hi Graham,
I am also researching Lancelot Barnett - if it's the same one, he married my great grandmother. If you have any research we can share, please email me at fsheppard at tiscali dot co dot uk
Thanks, Frazer

GeorgeF
13-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Ken,
I really would appreciate any help you can provide. I am trying to trace a Thomas Gaffney (Coldstream Guards), enlisted Apr 1896 and served 6 years. I understand he had one of the SA War Medals (although I've never seen it) with the following bars; Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johanesburg and Belfast. I would be interested in obviously any detail you may have but in particular a Regt Number.

Thanks in anticipation

George F

kaigs
02-09-2009, 9:51 AM

Hello Kenhallock, just the man who may be able to help me. I have a database of all known British Boer War dead among which are a number that i have taken off various monuments but have no death dates and in most cases no burial place. Please can you look them up on your nominal rolls? Incidentally my database can be accessed by contacting me direct.
Coldstream Guards:
Pte. H Hutchins
Captain Richard Arthur Starling
8965 Pte A Cubitt
Pte J Hodges
A Moad
Monckton died at Kimberley
LC Saunders died at Pretoria
W Savage
Simpson died at Kimberley
KOSB:
Pte J Francis died Burgersdorp
Pte McGettigan died UK
CPL C Turner died UK
You may want to reply to my email at

bkaighin AT Gmail DOTcom

Regards
Brian Kaighin

Robert Poole
14-10-2010, 6:04 PM

Hello Ken
I have a medal that was passed to me & would love to know any details about the original owner. I have looked it up & it is a Queens South Africa medal with the inscription on the edge, as in the title above. Even if I knew his christian name it would be something, though I suspect it is probably Henry/Harry. There are 4 "bars" on the ribbon inc Modder River & Dreifontein. I would be very grateful if you could help me find out any details at all.
Best Regards
Rob Poole
Gloucestershire

kaigs
17-10-2010, 6:33 AM

Hi ken my database has all known Briitish dead for the Boer War however there are a few gaps that need to be filled. Please can you send me a contact email address to kaigs(at)telkomsa.net in order I can advise what I require?
Regards
Brian Kaighin

Jrnoble50
21-01-2011, 4:35 PM
Do you have any information on Edward Tunney, 661, Coldstream Guards?

frazshep
22-01-2011, 9:40 AM
I am keen to get any more information on Lancelot Barnett - my dad knew him as Uncle Lance. He was my great grandmother's partner after she lost her husband. Her name was May Louisa Cook nee Jones. I know this thread concerns medals but any information at all would be useful.
If you can help, please email me at - frazsheppard(at)tiscali.co.uk

Dear Mr Hallock

I understand you have the medal rolls for the coldstream guards for the boer war Im not sure now i have re read this, i think my gt uncle was too young for the boer war, i think he was in the coldstream guards in WW1.

In WW1 he would be 22yrs old, is he too young for the other africa wars
the one i have is pvte lancelot barnett reg no. 10564 cold stream guards, motor transport army service corps
is this the right one
he was born in Baston, lincs, was living in Bassingham in 1901, his father robert greenfield barnett a retired policeman and his wife emily barnett nee moyes
any information you could give me would be very much appreciated
kind regards
ness graham