PDA

View Full Version : Will query

stella
07-02-2006, 8:10 AM
I'm after an opinion really, I have a will dated 1844, & it lists quite a bit of items to leave to his wife. Unfortunately she dies 2 years later, so my question is, would she have left a will, that I so far can not find, or do all the mentioned items automatically go the the children (who are in their early 20's) left behind. I've looked in case the widow has married again, but on her death certificate it states she is a widow. Any opinions gratefully recieved, Stella :)

Geoffers
07-02-2006, 8:36 AM
She may have left a will.......but then again, she may not - there's no compulsion. The problem with wills before 1858 is finding the court where the probate was granted. To keep it simple, very basically:

If property was owned in one archdeaconry, the will was proved in the Archdeacon's court.

If property was held in more than one archdeaconry, but they were both in the same diocese, the will was proven in the diocesan court.

If property was held in more than one diocese, then the provincial court dealt with the probate. There are two provinces in England - York (PCY) and Canterbury (PCC).

If property was held in more than province then probate was granted by The Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC), which held supremacy.

Geoffers

stella
07-02-2006, 8:49 AM
Geoffers, thanks for your speedy reply. So how do I ascertain if property was held in 1 or more archdeaconry then? Do I start looking for the same will in other places?

Stella

Geoffers
07-02-2006, 9:06 AM
Geoffers, thanks for your speedy reply. So how do I ascertain if property was held in 1 or more archdeaconry then? Do I start looking for the same will in other places?
I'd start with the same court where you found the husband's will.

PCC wills are online at documentsonline

Indexes to diocesan and archdeaconry probate records are usually held by the relevant county record office.

From 1858 it's fairly easy as there is one index; prior to then it's a case of hunting around.

Geoffers

stella
07-02-2006, 9:10 AM
Thanks for that Geoffers, I found his will on the A2A site, & paid then down-loaded it. I assumed because I could'nt find her will on here, that she did not leave one. Now, however I'll go & search some more!

Thanks for that, Stella :D