PDA

View Full Version : Where do I look?

Suebartlett
06-02-2006, 7:05 PM
Hi

I have never had any need to look in Scotland before, so have no idea where to start.

Robert Lane and Margaret A Lane were born in Glasgow 1839 and 1843.

Their parents were Edward and Ann, they were born in Ireland.

The family have also been recorded as Long, Lawad and Lawn.

Could anyone help with further information about their births, marriage of parents or how I go about finding them on the 1841 census.

Any help or advice most welcomed.
Thanks
Sue

DebbieAnn
06-02-2006, 8:07 PM
Well, start with this site: scotlands people

There is a charge for use in the form of credits: 30 credits for 6 pounds. Each page viewed is 1 credit, each file downloaded is 5 credits except for 1881 census (1 credit) and Wills Index search (free). I use this site ALL THE TIME and they are very reliable. They do not yet have the 1841 or 1851 census available, tho., but you might find births, marriages, etc.

Debbie

Wirral
06-02-2006, 8:26 PM
Another one to try is http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl It is free, limited in its coverage, but you might be lucky.

Davran
10-02-2006, 8:04 PM
Scotlands people is excellent! You can do a birth search using just the parents' names and you will bring up a list of all children born to that couple. All your previous searches are stored and you can refer back to them months later.

Suebartlett
15-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you for all your advice, I have tried the freecen - but no luck. I may have to invest in scotlandspeople, although this is my only family that ventured anywhere near Scotland and they were only there for such a short time.
Sue