PDA

View Full Version : Will from 1564

johnadey
06-02-2006, 5:31 PM
I have a PDF file of a will from 1564. although familiar with old wills I am struggling reading this one. Any volunteers to help me if I forward the file?

Thanks
John Adey

Peter Goodey
06-02-2006, 7:03 PM
Put it on a website (as PDF) and we'll all have a go!

johnadey
06-02-2006, 7:26 PM
Thank you.

The PDF file is now online at http://freespace.virgin.net/john.adey54/NicholasAdye.pdf

Regards
John Adey

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 8:00 PM
I don't know if I'll get called away, but I'll start it off for you:

Page 1:
In the name of god amen. I Nicholas ADY of Raynham in the County of Kent being in perfect health and good remembrance thanks be unto god make this my last will and testament in m,anner and forme following:

First I bequeath my soule to almighty god and my body to th(a)t earth fromme where yt cam.

Item I give to the poore people of Doddington tenne shillings and to teh poore people of Raynham xs (10 shillings) to be bestowed within forty days next after my death by my executors at there good dis-cretions.

continued....

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 8:11 PM
Item I will that my saide executors shall yerely during the space of time yeres uppon (...?) good frydaie distribute to the poor people of Raynham one quarter or (seame?) of wheate to be delivered unto them at Que(n?)ecomte Barne at the discretiion of my saide executors.

And of this my (....?) testament and last will I doe constitute ordeine and make my brothers John ADYE and Thomas ADYE of Dodddington William HENNAKER and John MENDHAM of Raynham and Johane the daughter of Willia BARKER late of Raynham aforesaide yeoman nowe deceased my true and only lawfull executors to th(e)only and proper use and behoof of the saide Johane desyring my saide ij (2) brothers and the saide Willm HENNAKER and John MENDHAM for gods sake to be good unto the saide Johan and to set this my present testament and laste will well and truly put in execution and performed at my singular and only trust and affyance it and ever hathe been in them

continued.....

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 8:18 PM
Item I will to my sonne John ADYE tenne poundes to be paied to him at th(e)age of xxj (21) yeres by the said Johan(s?)

Item I will to Agnes my daughter twenty poundes to be paied to her eyther at the (end of page) age of xviij (18) yeres or at the daie of her marriage.

And yf either of my twoo children decease before the sayde severall ages or marriage them I will thout to be th(e)others heirs

And yf they dye bothe before the sayde ages or marriage thenne I will the saide twenty poundes shall dye and remayne forever in the handes of the saide Johan.

Item I will and bequeath to John ADYE sonne of the above John ADYE my brother all manner my bookes to be delivered unto him ymmediatlie after my decease.

continued....

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 8:28 PM
Item I give to the saide John ADYE my brother my shorte ryding gowne faced with blacke lambe and lyned throughe with white lambe.

Item I give to my saide brother Thomas ADYE my other short gowne and my golde ringe which I doe commonly weare.

Item I give to the said William HENNAKER my greater lange gowne furred with lambe and faced withe budge.

Item I give the saide John MENDHAM my bla-cke gowne welted w(i)t(h) velvet and faced with budge and my wy(u?)ed table and stooles nowe standing in his howse

continued.....

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 8:34 PM
And all other singular other my moveable goodes chattells leases and debtes not bequeathed afore in this my laste will and testament my debtes and the sayde legacyes being paied and give and bequith them to the sayde John ADYE Thomas ADY Willia HENNAKER John MENDHAM and Johane to th(e)only and proper use and behoof of the saide Johane forever as is abovesayde.

And for the payment of the saied thirty poundes in manner and fourme abovesayed my verry will and intent is that the saide Johane shall bynde herself in one obligation of threskore (60) poundes to my saied executrix withe condition indorsed for the true payment of the saide thirty poundes in manner and fourme abovesayed according to equitie and good conscience.

And as to the delivery of all the residue of my bequestes (the saide tenne quarters of wheat only excepted) my will and intent is shall p(er)fourmed and delivered ymmediatly after my decease

continued....

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 8:47 PM
Item I will the sayd Johane shall paye Thomas OSBORNE twenty poundes at the feast of All Saints next comming and also one hundreth poundes to my saide brother John ADY according to a pa(i?)er of In-dentures betwene him and me uppon payment wherof she shall (resid??)yue my nowe leace of Que(u?)ce..e?
and b...y.grabe? and also she shall paye all other my debtes as good conscience requireth.

In recompence wherof I have given to my said executors to her only use all my moveable goods chattells and debts as is abovesaied.

In testimony of all singular the premisses I the saide Nicholas ADY have made this (pute?) will and testament w(i)t(h) myne owne hande the xxij (22) th daie of July Anno dmi 1569 And in the sixte yere of the raigne of o(u)r soveraigne lady Elizabeth by the grace of god of England France and Irelande Quene defender of the faithe & witnes hereunto my owne hande Nicholas ADYE

continued...

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 9:02 PM
This is the laste will and testament of me the saide Nicholas ADYE made and declared the daye and yere first abovesaide as concerning all my landes and tenements in the parishes of Luddenham Buklande and Maistone in the saide county of Kent

First I will my saide brother John ADY and Thomas ADYE shalhave the custody rule and governance of my saide sonne John and my daughter Agnes and of all my landes and tenements abovesaid untill my saide sonne shall accomplishe the full age of xxi (21) yeres and of my saide daughter untill she shall accomplish the age of xviij (18) yeres or tyll the daie of her marriage bringing them up vertuously and in the feare of god

that is to saye my saide sonne John to schole and lerning and my said daughter at their good discretion in some goodmans (ser?)vice towardes and for the chardges of their fynding to tak schole bringing up meat drinke and clothe my verry will and intent is that my saide two brothers shall take and receyve all the profyts assines and yerely revenues of all my saide landes and tenements

continued...

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 9:07 PM
and to bestowe yt uppon my saide children in bringing them upp in manner and fourme a-bovesaide without any attempt to be made to my saide sonne John at the saide age of xxi (21) yeres but shall kepe the buildings and edifices well repayred and paye all the Lordes (raitts??) during all the saide (.....?) and if bothe my saide brothers decease at any tyme during the minoritie of my saide chidlren then and from thence forth I give and bequeath the like a...hratie? unto Geffery PYE of Chillam on my saide landes tenements and children as I have done to my sayd brothers ht to use them according to the manner and fou-rme abovesayd.

witnes hereunto my owne hande Nicholas ADY

Thes witnes William CROXON Walter THOMSON and Phillip WOOD

I'll have another look at the difficult words, in the meantime, is this any use?

Geoffers

johnadey
06-02-2006, 9:35 PM
Brilliant, thank you very much. I hope that you enjoyed reading it as much as I did.

I am finding this family tree really interesting, I have the will of Edward Adye of Barham from 1664 and he owned property all over Kent. He left money to the value of approx £7000 to his immediate family in his will and I am told that this would be worth about £1 million in todays money.

It all started with a pedigree that I was shown at the College of Arms and I am hopeful that it will eventually help me to connect 2 Adey families who suddenly appear in Gloucestershire in between 1550 and 1650 then to trace the families right back to 1350 in Kent. I am descended from one of those Gloucestershire Adeys.

Thanks again
John Adey

Geoffers
06-02-2006, 9:52 PM
I have the will of Edward Adye of Barham from 1664 and he owned property all over Kent. He left money to the value of approx £7000 to his immediate family in his will and I am told that this would be worth about £1 million in todays money.
You've gained my interest - did any of this come down to you????? ........now as to my professional fees for transcribing ;)

Glad you found it useful, if you have any others, please feel free to ask - I enjoy reading (the more legible) documents from this time

Best wishes
Geoffers

Peter Goodey
06-02-2006, 11:57 PM
"I enjoy reading (the more legible) documents from this time"

Amazing, Geoffers! I went away to make a cup of tea and next time I looked in you'd finished it!

I don't suppose you'd be interested in deciphering one of mine from 1597, would you?

Geoffers
07-02-2006, 8:27 AM
I don't suppose you'd be interested in deciphering one of mine from 1597, would you?
I'll give it a go, either post on a web-site or send by e-mail

Geoffers

Geoffers
07-02-2006, 9:01 AM
a couple of amendments:

Message No.9, page 1 of this thread:
uppon payment wherof she shall (resid??)yue

change to:
uppon payment wherof she shall retayne

I the saide Nicholas ADY have made this (pute?) will and testament
change to:
I the saide Nicholas ADY have made this p(rese)nte will and testament

Message 11 page 2:
during all the saide (.....?)
change to:
during all the saide terme

Geoffers

johnadey
07-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks again. I too am amazed at how quickly you did this, if I spent all evening I would only have pulled out a few phrases.

Sadly the millions have not reached me.

John

Peter Goodey
07-02-2006, 11:28 AM
"I'll give it a go, either post on a web-site or send by e-mail"

Thanks, Geoffers. To avoid cluttering up this thread, please see new message.

aussiemaree
22-05-2016, 6:39 AM
Where and when was this will just interested in the witness William Croxon
aussiemaree