PDA

View Full Version : Marriage of the Doves

lizziebeth
04-02-2006, 10:56 AM
I would be so grateful if anyone was able to find any details on the marriage of William and Elizabeth Dove, both born around 1874. They had two sons, Frank born 1897 and Wilfred born 1899. I do not have a date for the wedding but am guessing it would be early to mid 1890's.At the time of the birth of the children they were living in the Clacton area.
Thanks to anyone who can help!!

get2BJ
04-02-2006, 2:31 PM
Hello Lizziebeth,

I checked FreeBMD, and it can be seen that between Mar Qtr 1890 through to Dec Qtr 1899 there were 33 William Doves married, and of these only 3 had an Elizabeth recorded on the same page, as follows:

Name...............District...................Vol. .Page..Qtr/Year
Elizabeth Smith...Sleaford (Lincs).........7a...893.....Sep 1896
Elizabeth Elliston.Tendring (Essex)........4a...837.....Sep 1895
Elizabeth Norton..Isle of Wight (Hants)..26..1057....Sep 1895

The Tendring marriage looks favourite given its proximity to Clacton (same reg district). Hope this helps,

Best Wishes
Brenda

PS. Check this for yourself at:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Trish
04-02-2006, 3:13 PM
Name...............District...................Vol. .Page..Qtr/Year
Elizabeth Smith...Sleaford (Lincs).........7a...893.....Sep 1896
Elizabeth Elliston.Tendring (Essex)........4a...837.....Sep 1895
Elizabeth Norton..Isle of Wight (Hants)..26..1057....Sep 1895

The Tendring marriage looks favourite given its proximity to Clacton (same reg district)...It should be noted that in the case of the Tendering marriage record, there is also an Elizabeth MOWHAN listed -- another possible candidate as William's bride.

But, if you do a quick check in the 1891 census for either Elizabeth [ELLISTON or MOWHAN], you'll find that Elizabeth E. appears to be a servant born in Weeley, Essex, working in Willesden, Middlesex, whereas Elizabeth M. is quite elusive. Perhaps she is around somewhere under a different spelling of MOWHAN...

Trish

get2BJ
04-02-2006, 3:26 PM
Lizziebeth, do you have their details on the 1901 census?

William appears with his wife Elizabeth and two sons Frank L and Wilfred E, living at 2 Primrose Cottage, St Osyth Road, Clacton. William is a house painter, born Clacton and Elizabeth is shown as born in Weeley, 4 miles from Clacton.
RG13/1695, Folio 21, Page 3

You can search the 1901 for free on Ancestry at the moment: http://www.ancestry.co.uk/

Best Wishes
Brenda

get2BJ
04-02-2006, 3:41 PM
Oh my goodness Trish,

I must admit, I did miss the 2nd Elizabeth (Mowhan) listed on that marriage index, apologies if anyone was mislead!

(Lizziebeth, it is always important to check records for oneself, just in case incomplete or misleading information is posted, exactly like in this example!)

Best Wishes

Brenda

lizziebeth
05-02-2006, 6:11 PM
I would just like to say a great big thanks you to you for your assistance with this particular search, it is very much appreciated and i will see where we can go from here.

Trish
05-02-2006, 9:36 PM
....Lizziebeth, it is always important to check records for oneself, just in case incomplete or misleading information is posted... So true, Brenda. I make errors in transcribing the images more frequently than I'd like to admit. Case in point: I said in my earlier message that Elizabeth ELLISTON was working in the Weekley area in 1891, whereas she was actually working in Middlesex but was born in Weekley! Sheesh.

I would just like to say a great big thanks you to you for your assistance with this particular search, it is very much appreciated and i will see where we can go from here.Lizziebeth, just in case this helps in any way...

In 1881, Elizabeth ELLISTON [born in Weekley] is 7 years old and living with her parents in Great Clacton: Samuel and Esther, 36 and 40, respectively. Siblings are Arthur, James, Charlotte, Edward, Elizabeth, Elvena, and Fredrick. Also in the household, is a nephew of Samuel -- Walter SIMPSON. [Reference: RG11/1779 Folio 24 Page 15]

Trish

lizziebeth
05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Many thanks once again, the information kindly supplied is helping fill in the gaps!!