PDA

View Full Version : Middle name's on baptism records

jeffrey.bean
03-02-2006, 5:43 PM
Would the middle name of a person alway's show up on the baptism record?
Thanks,
Jeff

busyglen
03-02-2006, 6:20 PM
I don't if this of help or not, but I have a rellie who was baptised Eliza, and went on to go by the name of Emma Sophia!! So not only a change of name but the addition of a middle name as well. Perhaps she didn't like the name and decided to change it! Other relatives appear to have had their middle name shown on the baptism records so whether this was a `one off' or not I couldn't say. I would hazard a guess that a middle name might `not' have been shown if it hadn't been decided at that time.

I have another relative who was baptised Ann Elizabeth, but only went by the name of Ann throughout her life.

Perhaps someone else may know, but I would have thought that it could be highly likely that a middle name might not be shown for one reason or another.

Glenys

Peter Goodey
03-02-2006, 6:27 PM
In English law people can call themselves what they like, providing it's not with intent to defraud, which may bear a passing resemblance or no resemblance at all to the name they were originally baptised or registered under.

Modern bureaucracy makes it difficult today but in genealogical times it was easy.

jeffrey.bean
03-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks, thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

Regards,
Jeff