PDA

View Full Version : Buenos Ayres, Kent

CHARLIE GIRL
02-02-2006, 5:07 PM
I Have Ann Woodward Daughter Of Thomas Woodward Who Was A Mariner. They Lived In Buenos Ayres Kent. Ann Married James Petts, Isle Of Thanet October 1843. His Father Was Edward Petts (a Footman) Has Anyone Any Information On This Family Please. Thank you for reading this.

Pam Downes
02-02-2006, 8:47 PM
Hi Charlie Girl,
Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully someone will be able to help when they get over the shock of seeing 'Buenos Ayres, Kent'. However I note that you've posted another message to the Kent forum about the same family and included Margate as part of the address which might make a little more sense if there was a house called Buenos Ayres.
Can I add a word of advice here - only post a query about a family to one forum, otherwise everyone gets at cross purposes and in the end nobody's sure of who's checked what. :)
Also 'has anyone any information on this family please' is a little vague. Can I presume that you've found Ann and James' family on the census 1851-1901 (or till whenever they died), so that you have their children and places of residence for those years?
Give us a slightly better idea of what sort of information you're looking for - and don't forget to tell how Buenos Ayres came to be in Kent. :D
Pam Downes

CHARLIE GIRL
03-02-2006, 1:03 PM
Hello Pam. Thank you so much for your advice and for taking the trouble to reply. These are my first posts and I am not really sure of what I am doing. I am always willing to learn though and will go back and look at where the information came from.

CHARLIE GIRL
03-02-2006, 3:49 PM
I have the marriage certificate of Mary Ann Petts who is the daughter of James. She married William John Adams in The Parish Church in St John Thanet March 2nd 1873. They are the parents of my maternal grandmother Florence Rebecca Adams who became the wife of Charles James Brett.

CHARLIE GIRL
03-02-2006, 5:20 PM
I have the marriage certificate for James Petts and Ann Woodward in 1843 and Buenos Ayres, Margate is the residence at the time of the marriage. His father was Edward and hers was Thomas the mariner. I also have the birth certificate of Mary their daughter in 1843 at Margate, I.O. Thanet in Kent. I hope this is more suitable and I would like to know if anyone has these names in their family members.

busyglen
03-02-2006, 6:25 PM
I did a `google' search for Buenos Ayres in Margate, and came up with a list of hotels. One of which was situated in (I believe, as I forgot to take note of the number) 12 Beunos Ayres, Thanet. I tried a street map search, but couldn't pick it up, so possibly it could be a Crescent, or a Terrace. Someone local in Margate, may be able to help a bit with the location.

Glenys

Peter Goodey
03-02-2006, 6:35 PM
"I did a `google' search for Buenos Ayres in Margate"

By jingo, Glenys!

Why didn't I think of that???!!!

I tried Googling but being a clever dick, I entered the correct spelling of the Argentinian city! The Margate Education Committee have a lot to answer for|oopsredfa

Peter Goodey
03-02-2006, 6:43 PM
Streetmap finds Buenos Ayres [sic] OK -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=634749&Y=170652&A=Y&Z=1

CHARLIE GIRL
03-02-2006, 7:03 PM
I have just looked at the map and feel quite excited about it all. Thank you so much for using your time.

CHARLIE GIRL
03-02-2006, 7:11 PM
I did a `google' search for Buenos Ayres in Margate, and came up with a list of hotels. One of which was situated in (I believe, as I forgot to take note of the number) 12 Beunos Ayres, Thanet. I tried a street map search, but couldn't pick it up, so possibly it could be a Crescent, or a Terrace. Someone local in Margate, may be able to help a bit with the location.

Glenys
Thank you for your help. I have had a quick look at your site and will keep a note of it.

Pam Downes
03-02-2006, 8:12 PM
Streetmap finds Buenos Ayres [sic] OK -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=634749&Y=170652&A=Y&Z=1Well done, Peter. I'm sure Charlie G is so pleased that you've proved that she hasn't lost her marbles :D because I'm sure that everyone did a double take when they first saw the thread heading.
I wonder if 'In which English county will you find Buenos Ayres?' will ever come up as the million pound question on 'Millionaire?
Pam Downes

Pam Downes
03-02-2006, 8:40 PM
I have the marriage certificate for James Petts and Ann Woodward in 1843 and Buenos Ayres, Margate is the residence at the time of the marriage. His father was Edward and hers was Thomas the mariner. I also have the birth certificate of Mary their daughter in 1843 at Margate, I.O. Thanet in Kent. I hope this is more suitable and I would like to know if anyone has these names in their family members.Hi again C.G.
Well, thanks to Peter (and Glenys for providing his inspiration) the mystery of Buenos Ayres, Kent has been solved. :)
Are you now enquiring purely if anyone has these names in their family tree, or are you short of information such as census, death dates, baptisms of James' and Ann's parents and want help in finding this information?
Pam Downes

CHARLIE GIRL
04-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I deliberately put Buenos Ayres as the heading as I thought people would be curious and that has proved correct. I am hoping to find other people with my family members in their tree and I would like to find out more about Thomas Woodward the Mariner. Was he a sailor, fisherman.? Anne Woodward was in the 1861 census as a Lodging House Keeper at 9 Buenos Ayres.