PDA

View Full Version : Name derivertives?

Jo from Australia
02-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Ca anyone shed some light as to what names "Lena" could be short for? I am looking at perhaps it not beingthe real name but a shortened name. It would be an english name.

sorry about my appalling spelling! :o)

Jo

Diane Grant-Salmon
02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi Jo,

My sister-in-law's name is Lena, not a shortened version of another name as she was registered and baptised with it. :)
However, possibly could be used as a nickname for Eleanor, or Helena? :confused:

keith9351
02-02-2006, 11:58 AM
You could try this site, it's been useful to me in the past.

www.behindthename.com

Keith

Jo from Australia
02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks for both replies...thought the web site was very interesting although I got a bit side tracked! ;o)

I am almost convinced that my Lena -whose birth cert I do have- didnt actually exist...I cant find any leads at all with her :o(

Jo

Betty Willson
04-02-2006, 2:09 AM
Hello Jo from Australia. I live in Brisbane. My aunt's name was "Catherine Helena Marion" and she was always known as "Lena" Best wishes, Betty Willson

uksearch
04-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I had an aunt called "Lena"...only found out the day she was buried that her full name was Selina.

UK

Carol G
15-02-2006, 9:31 AM
Hi, sorry to add to the list! I have a rellie named Ellen who also used the names Lena, Helena and Selina!

MarkJ
15-02-2006, 3:09 PM
Another possibility - Emmaline ;)
My great grandmother was called Lena - and I spent hours looking for her grave! I was promised it existed in the cemetary - but only months later did I discover she was actually Emmaline!