PDA

View Full Version : Mariner in Middlesex?

fpegrum
29-01-2006, 8:06 PM
I have a copy of the record for the birth & baptism of two children for George KENNARD at the (British) Lying-In Hospital, Endell Street, Holborn (1757 & 1759).

George is recorded as being a mariner of St Margaret's Parish, Westminster.

I would like to find out more about George but need some advice:

1) Does the term Mariner signify a particular type of seaman or is it likely that the person writing the entry would write Mariner for any sailor?

2) Was it unusual for a Mariner to be residing in Westminster or is this an indication that he worked on the Thames?

3) Are there any existing records for further information on George?

4) The date the child was baptised is recorded; does this mean that all children were baptised at the hospital or were they baptised at their Parish church and then the information supplied by the parents?

Thankyou in advance.

Fiona

Geoffers
29-01-2006, 9:12 PM
I can't find anything to infer that the word 'Mariner' means anything other than a seaman - but others may be able to give better advice here. If he was an Officer, I would have expected to see him recorded as a Master Marienr, or Mate

I see no reason why a mariner wouldn't live in Westminster - but if he workded on the Thames I would have expected him to be called a waterman. Mariner would be someone who went to sea.

Merchant seaman records are limited from this early - best place to look is TNA's research guides http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp
click on 'M' and browse the various guides which apply.

continued.....

Geoffers
29-01-2006, 9:13 PM
part 2....

and just some idle speculation which may be nothing, however, just in case:

Have you tried Documentsonline? Click on
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/default.asp
look to the left of the screen and click on family history. From the list displayed, select 'Wills' and just search on his name. I wondered if you knew his date of death and if the first chap on the list fitted in?

Now select 'refine search', clear out his forename and leave the surname Kennard, insert an occupation, 'mariner' and search. Could he have been the son/grandson/nephew of a mariner? How frequently does the surname occur?

.....just wondering

Geoffers

fpegrum
30-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks Geoffers,

I do have the will of George KENNARD; he ended up in Covent Garden running the Old Hummums Hotel. The information I have takes him back to St Martins in the Fields, then Chancery Lane and then somewhere in St Margaret's Westminster as a Mariner.

It just seems such a jump to go from being a Mariner to a Hotel Keeper which required a £5000 mortgage for the lease - I guess a lot of money for 1780.

Thanks for your advice.

Fiona

Geoffers
30-01-2006, 5:32 PM
He could well have been promoted - maybe the reference you have to 'mariner' is earlier in his career - or possibly he was a Master Mariner and the reference you have simplifies the occupation.

A lot of money was to be made in Merchant trade (China, tea, spices, slavery, etc), to counter the many and varied risks faced by the crews. Perhaps he had a share in a ship?

Maybe he inherited money from family? I see that several other wills in Documentsonline refer to Kennards as merchant tailors, merchant seamen, gentlemen and so on; and they all appear to be from Kent, Surrey, Sussex, London. COuld several of them have been related - who knows? But at least it seems an interesting line of research to follow.

Good luck

Geoffers