PDA

View Full Version : NICOLE & SMITH, Jeweler in Derby c1905

Alex Nicole
24-01-2006, 1:31 PM
Hello All,

I am interested in any information on a gentleman called Edwin Charles NICOLE. He was a Jeweller / watch Maker in Derby prior to World War 1 where upon he joined The Sherwood Foresters. He was an apprentice in Derby prior to opening his own shop in the city about 1902. Edwin was born in Cambridgeshire in 1883.

He married a local women Gertrude SMITH. I believe her father was a Builder in the city and may have had something to do with the building of the Town Hall. Gertrude's address on the marriage certificate is given as a town called Diffield (?)

Sorry for being vague but I know very little about the SMITH side of the family.

Regards

Alex NICOLE

janbooth
25-01-2006, 12:29 PM
This looks as if it could be him in the 1891 census of Holy Trinity, Cambridge:

RG12/1298, folio 33, page 33
Schedule 178, Burall (?) House, Willow Cottage

Chas Fredk NICOLE Head M 66 Solicitors Clerk & County Court Bailiff (?)
St Clement ? London
Hester do Wife M 44 Stretham Cambs
Eliza Marcia do Dr Single 27 Drapers Assistant Ely do
Selina Mary do Dr Single 22 Dressmaker do do
Alice Nerissia? do Dr 11 Scholar do do
Edwin Charles do son 7 do do do

As you have the marriage certificate, what is the name of Gertrude's father. With a common name like SMITH (as I know to my cost) you need all the information you can to research your ancestors. Perhaps then it will be easier to track down Gertrude in the census records. Could the town be Duffield? And what date did they marry?

Janet.

Alex Nicole
25-01-2006, 1:38 PM
Hello Janet,

Yes, that is my Edwin. I have Charles Frederick and his family well documented during their time in Cambridgeshire. Thanks for the look up.

I have checked Gertrude SMITH's marriage certificate. Her father was Joseph SMITH (occ Builder). I also noticed from some other data that Gertrude was born in Hawk Wood (?), Derby.

Regards

Alex Nicole

janbooth
26-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Alex,

Could this perhaps be your Gertrude in the 1891 census of St Werburgh, Derby:

RG12/2730, folio 121, page 36
Schedule 206, 53 Radbourne Street

Joseph SMITH Head M 44 Bricklayer Dunstable Bedfordshire
Elizabeth do Wife M 46 Berkhampstead Herts
Minnie do Daur S 20 Dressmaker Leighton Buzzard Beds
Francis do Son S 17 Bricklayers Labourer Wirksworth Derby
Percy do Son S 15 Errand boy do do
Albert do Son S 13 Errand Lad do do
Joseph do Son S 10 do do
Gertrude do Daur 8 do do
Annie do Daur 6 do do

He is the only Joseph SMITH in Derby itself with a building connection and a daughter Gertrude. Could Wirksworth have been misinterpreted as Hawk Wood?? Hope this helps in some small way.

Janet.

Alex Nicole
26-01-2006, 1:45 PM
Hello Janet,

Thanks for the information.

If they can convert "Alice Minnie Zulu" into "Alice Nerissia". Then I'm sure "Wirksworth" to "Hawk Wood" is not to much of a leap.

I will add your information to my file and try and get some confirmation.

Regards

Alex Nicole

Andrew Mead
27-01-2006, 6:26 AM
In 1901, Gertrude Smith and Family (father Joseph, bricklayer, employer) were at 97 Tamworth Street, Duffield.
Hope this helps
RG13 Piece 3226 Folio 75 page 16 Sch 97