PDA

View Full Version : John Bennett, coast guardsman,woolwich

colin bennett
21-01-2006, 7:57 PM
Hi! I am researching my relative a John Bennett who was born in Woolwich , Kent, in 1813??, according to census information. He is listed as a coast guard guardsman.
Can anybody help me trace where he was born in woolwich at that time?.
Any information concerning the area would be of assistance please.
Any info as to where he may have been stationed would also be gratefully received. Thanks hope to hear from someone soon. Colin

Peter Goodey
21-01-2006, 9:26 PM
Woolwich St Mary Magdalene is on the IGI from 1813. There's a baptism and birth there for 1817 but that might be a bit late. I assume you have no clues about parentage?

Apart from checking the register for earlier years (1812 might be likely), it would probably be worth checking coastguard records at Kew. There's a research guide at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=54 and I think there is more detailed guidance at TNA. Not knowing the period when he was in the coastguard or whether he drew a pension, I'll have to leave you to decide what records might be worth investigating.

colin bennett
22-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Dear Peter, thank you so much for your reply.. I do not as yet have any clues as to john's parentage. According to the census of 1851 he gives his age as 38 born woolwich. So i can only asume he was born in 1813.
Yes i think the register for 1812 might prove fruitful. Are you in a position to check this please?
Thanks re the info on the national archives. John ended up according to the census in Falmouth cornwall (1861).
Look forward to hearing from you. Regards colin

Geoffers
22-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I do not as yet have any clues as to john's parentage. According to the census of 1851 he gives his age as 38 born woolwich.Did he by any chance have the common decency to marry after the introduction of civil registration in 1837, so that you can at least confirm the father's name and occupation?

If he was a nuisance and married before then, were there any Bennett witnesses to the ceremony?

Geoffers

colin bennett
22-01-2006, 1:02 PM
Didn't think of that one. I will see if he did do the decent thing. I will let you know. Thanks colin

Peter Goodey
22-01-2006, 2:54 PM
"Yes i think the register for 1812 might prove fruitful. Are you in a position to check this please?"

I mentioned 1812 because, in the unlikely event of his age being accurately stated in 1851 as 38, there is an approximately 75% chance that his birth was in 1812. So more likely to be 1812 than 1813.

I'm not too clued up on coastguards and don't know if they had to provide proof of age etc. Many were ex-navy so probably not.

Woolwich St Mary Magdalene records are at the LMA. I shan't be going there myself for several weeks, sorry. The mormons don't seem to have anything for that period. The LMA isn't a bad trip from Salisbury, though. Mind you, you'd be sick as a parrot if it turns out to be a nil return. Perhaps there are some other searches you need to do?

colin bennett
22-01-2006, 4:32 PM
Is the LMA, the london metropolitan Archives?
If so i may do the Kew visit at the same time to research the coastguard connection. Colin

busyglen
22-01-2006, 6:48 PM
Colin, I don't know whether you have seen this or not but there is mention of John and family here: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/A-B.html

As it mentions various census, I suspect you already know this, but thought I would mention it just in case.

Glenys

busyglen
22-01-2006, 6:59 PM
Colin, don't know if this is him but check this out :
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

Sorry, didn't hold the page....I searched for birth John Bennett, 1813 and there is an entry for 19th April 1813, and christening for 25th April 1813 in Scots Church Woolwich. Parents: William Bennett and Ann.

Good Luck

Glenys

colin bennett
22-01-2006, 7:02 PM
thanks glynes, yes i have seen it.
Many regards colin

colin bennett
22-01-2006, 8:08 PM
Hello again. You seem to have pulled a gem out of the fire for us. I would say that this is him. i clicked on the family research site but i dont seem to come up with the same info as you. Where did you get the church info from?
Thanks again hope to hear from you soon regards colin

busyglen
23-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Hello again. You seem to have pulled a gem out of the fire for us. I would say that this is him. i clicked on the family research site but i dont seem to come up with the same info as you. Where did you get the church info from?
Thanks again hope to hear from you soon regards colin

Hi Colin,

If you found him, did you click on his name? It takes you to the family details, together with batch and film numbers.

I did the search as I previously mentioned ie. John Bennett, birth, 1813, England. It didn't appear on the first page, so I clicked on the IGI and he came up under number 57 on the list. If you then click on his name, it takes you to the details of his parents etc.

Hope this helps, if not let me know.

Glenys

daleaway
28-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Colin,
I presume you have all this from the Genuki Coastguard files?

Bennett, John KEN 1813 Woolwich 1861 Penryn CON
1881 Bennett was in lodgings at Falmouth, CON [RG11/2316/58]; Martha Bennett was at Penryn, CON [RG112315/39] Wife: Martha N, 1819, Selsey, SSX. Children: Alexander J & Reace T & Ellen B, 1842 & 1845 & 1847, all Bignor, SSX; Eliza E.J, 1850 Falmouth, CON; Georgiana C & Oliver W & Frederick J.W, 1853 & 1855 & 1860, all Penryn, CON. Grandchild: Maude M Datson, 1877, Mylor, CON.

If not, type "coastguard" into the Genuki search engine and you can have a wonderful time. I tracked my 2x great grandfather's wanderings via his coastguard postings.

Dale

colin bennett
29-01-2006, 1:10 PM
Your a star. Thank you so much for that information.
Colin