PDA

View Full Version : Biles

tegfryn
20-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I have a tree for my maternal family "Biles" dating back to Walter Biles,who died in 1643 at Charlbury.

All successive generations up to the early 20th century were born, lived and died in Charlbury. I am particularly interested in Thomas Biles, born 30th September 1744 and died 1792. He is recorded as having died "Sans-Cullotides" and buried in Charlbury. Anyone come across this before please? Where might I find more info about his life? I suspect that he might in someway have been involved in the French Revolution.

I also think that there may be a family called Parsons still living in Charlbury and have a garage business.

Wirral
21-01-2006, 12:28 AM
As this concerns Charlbury, I'm sure this is one for Geoffers. Thinking back to French "O"level, doesn't "sans-culottides" mean "those without knickers", or in other words "the hoi-polloi" or "the plebs"?

Geoffers
21-01-2006, 2:21 PM
I have a tree for my maternal family "Biles" dating back to Walter Biles,who died in 1643 at Charlbury. All successive generations up to the early 20th century were born, lived and died in Charlbury.
None left in Charlbury to my knowledge, but the 'phone book does show a couple of entries for the name in Chippy.

I am particularly interested in Thomas Biles, born 30th September 1744 and died 1792.
The museum might be a good place to try, it opens again at Easter.

continued....

Geoffers
21-01-2006, 2:25 PM
part 2....

I also think that there may be a family called Parsons still living in Charlbury and have a garage business.
There was Parsons Garage, but I think it has closed now. I can have a stroll by Hixet Wood sometime and check for you.

If you need any local photos, I can stroll around with my camera and take a few snaps for you. I can also get to the library at Witney and check transcripts of documents they hold in the local studies section.

continued.....

Geoffers
21-01-2006, 2:28 PM
Part 3......
MIs in the town cemetery include the following Parsons:

PARSONS, William Charles, 1944, 22 - PARSONS, George, 1945, 68 - PARSONS, Anne, 1946, 91 - PARSONS, Alison, 1964?, 6wk - PARSONS, Frances, 1968, 73 - PARSONS, Harold, 1977, 61 - PARSONS, Mary Ann, 1979, 87 - PARSONS, Elsie, 1982, 73

and two Biles:

BILES, Rebecca Jane, 1944, 57 - BILES, Charles, 1956, 67

Geoffers

Roses
22-03-2008, 10:30 AM
The Parsons family I think used to have the garage years ago. I think there is still a family of Parsons who live near the garage.

I definately know two Parsons still living in Charlbury, Margaret and her brother (can't think of his Christian name), he has a daughter Rosemary, who went to school with my sister. Rosemary would now be about 46 years old.

Pennie
22-03-2008, 3:48 PM
The term "sans cullotides" rang some bells with me - and a little Googling brought forth the following information.

It relates to the French Revolutionary calendar which came into force after 22 SEP 1792 when the monarchy was abolished and the republic proclaimed. The calendar was set by a group of mathematicians and astronomers, with the year being divided into twelve equal months of 30 days each (the months were named by a French poet!), with the "left-over" days being referred to as "sans cullotides".

Hope this helps!

Pennie