PDA

View Full Version : Archives

Rod Neep
28-09-2004, 8:14 PM
Before someone asks... Yes... I know that they don't work yet... but they will.
There's still lots to do on the system.
Rod

phil mcavity
28-09-2004, 9:40 PM
Thanks Rod. You took the words out of my mush!

Phil.

Rod Neep
06-10-2004, 4:23 PM
The Archives are now full working.
(There is a link at the very bottom of the screen to view them - but frankly, you will hardly ever need to!)

Important note:
Don't get confused.... You don't search the archives on this system, if you want to do a search, then you search in the actual forums. (Also see "advanced search" for more options).

The archives are accessible to Google (not the actual forums). As administrator, I can switch on or switch off search engine "trawling", but I have it switched on for Google. That means that only Google will be able to get at the archives to index them, (not spam trawlers), and searches within Google will soon start to find stuff in our archives.

User signatures do not appear in the archives. That's good! It means that Google will not add your email address if it appears in your signature.

Regards
Rod

Ladkyis
06-10-2004, 4:39 PM
I was kind of wondering why we would need archives when all teh messages stay on the boards - unless they are deleted by admin - so all we have to do is search the boards, much nicer than a mailing list where searching the archives is such a chore. but something that allows Google to tell people about us is good and that doesn't give the s*****rs our details is even better!
Ann

Rod Neep
06-10-2004, 5:13 PM
Yes it is ;-)

I told you this was a really good message board software ;-)

By the way, I can exclude certain forums from the Google too, for example, private forums that guests can't see.... and therefore its posts... will never show up on Google either. Some family history societies also like their forums to be private to their members (and not archived either), so that is a way for me to handle it.

On-line here... people who have permission to view a folder will see that folder in the archive too, if they don't have permission, then that folder won't appear in their view of the archive.

Cheers
Rod