PDA

View Full Version : Beale/Ferry

beaky1
19-01-2006, 12:44 PM
This is my first post - I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to look up something on Pallots (if they have the CD) I am trying to find out about the marriage of Willam Beale and Sophia Ferry.
Willaim was born in1812 and Sophia c1815 both born in Bethnal Green.
William was my gg grandfather.
I have no info about Sophia other than her approx year of birth
Thanks
Shirley

Trish
19-01-2006, 11:27 PM
This is my first post - I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to look up something on Pallots (if they have the CD) I am trying to find out about the marriage of Willam Beale and Sophia Ferry.
Willaim was born in1812 and Sophia c1815 both born in Bethnal Green.
William was my gg grandfather.
I have no info about Sophia other than her approx year of birth
Thanks
ShirleyWelcome aboard, Shirley.

As far as I know -- and, someone, please correct me if I'm wrong -- the only pieces of information to be gleaned from the Pallot's Marriage Index are the names of the bride and groom and the year, handwritten by a clerk...

The entry you are after notes only the following:

Beale Wm Chas
Sophia Ferry
St Geo East 1832

Not very illuminating, is it?

Trish

Peter Goodey
19-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, after all - it is an index :D

I wonder what Shirley was hoping to find out. The parish register is the place to look now, especially having a date and the church. But the trouble is the marriage registers for around 1832 aren't terribly informative - no fathers' names or anything like that :(

Pam Downes
20-01-2006, 12:38 AM
The parish register is the place to look now, especially having a date and the church. But the trouble is the marriage registers for around 1832 aren't terribly informative - no fathers' names or anything like that :(The entry for this marriage just *might* have a little more info because if Shirley has the correct ages then both bride and groom are minors. So it might give the fathers' names, though equally it might just say 'parents permission'.
But there will be the witnesses names/signatures/marks which might give clues.
Pam Downes

Mythology
20-01-2006, 1:04 AM
" ..... though equally it might just say 'parents permission'. "

Or, equally, the fact that they were minors may not be recorded in the register at all.
This is quite common, and I would *suspect* that it's the case here, as the Pallot's slips usually show additional info such as minor/widow/different parish where the register indicates this.

beaky1
20-01-2006, 9:30 AM
Thanks to you all for your replies - I have very little info on the couple I do know the parents and siblings of William Beale but Sophia Ferry is a bit of a mystery - I was told she may have been part French and that she lived near the docks in East London but who knows!
I have only recently started this tree and am finding the odd skelton in the cupboard! which is proving very interesting!
I will carry on digging
Thanks again
Ps William was around 20 in 1832 and Sophia 17 so does that mean they were minors?

Geoffers
20-01-2006, 9:47 AM
Ps William was around 20 in 1832 and Sophia 17 so does that mean they were minors?
Yes, both minors. If you check the parish register, you may well find that it refers to the marriage having taken place with the permission of a named parent/guardian. If the marriage was by licence you may be able to locate the marriage licence allegation.

Geoffers

beaky1
20-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks very much I will try that

Mythology
22-01-2006, 3:07 AM
I would not disagree with Peter or Geoffers - checking the register is *always* worthwhile, because, quite apart from the possibility of transcription error, you never know what *may* show up.

However, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. If the marriage was by licence, then, again, this would normally be indicated on the Pallot's slip. I say "normally" because Pallot's was taken from a number of sources, and some of those sources may not have contained the relevant information in the first place, but in fact I cannot think of one single instance in the numerous marriages by licence in my family which appear on Pallot's where this is *not* indicated on the slip.

Some registers are, I'm afraid, pretty atrocious. As Peter says, there's not an awful lot of extra info on pre-1837 ones in the first place, and it doesn't help when they don't even comply with the basic requirements of the Act in force at the time. I have, for example, an 1826 marriage of Joseph Smith and my Eliza Wakefield Talbot at St Andrew Holborn. Apart from the fact that Joseph was *probably* dead by 1841, as Eliza is back in Suffolk with her father then (but, of course, no detail on the 1841, may have been still married and just visiting) and *definitely* dead by 1846 when Eliza's father made his will, I have no idea who Joseph Smith was. With a name like that, it might be helpful to at least know whether he was a bachelor or a widower, but the register does not even give this basic piece of information. Registers of busy London churches are usually very different from those country ones full of odd little extra notes which make them so interesting and occasionally enlightening.