PDA

View Full Version : Catherine McKAY nee MELVILLE m. James McKAY ...

Dorothy
19-01-2006, 2:46 AM
The couple above wed in Edinburgh in 1856 then are not on any Scottish records so I figure they emigrated. Her brothers , Donald b. 1830 in Helmsdale , Sutherland and Hugh b. 1831 probably emigrated too after 1851 so the couple might have met up with them. I've searched unsuccessfully in Canada and the U.S. so am starting in Australia. Any suggestions ?

ChristineR
19-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Just a question, you mention Scottish, US and Canadian records... have you looked for them in England or Wales?

Christine
Australia

Dorothy
19-01-2006, 9:15 PM
Would you believe ......No :-) Their sister , Isabella , my G grandmother came to England later in the 1870s but that 's because her husband was English and moved back for work , I imagine.
The fact that there is a George Hugh MELVILLE with the same age as Hugh in NSW I automatically thought of searching there in case they are one and the same fellow.

ChristineR
20-01-2006, 2:16 AM
Yes, I believe you :) So many nicked off overseas that it is a natural assumption. You would really only need to check the 1861 census to confirm that they aren't in England or Wales anywhere. Maybe 1871 in case they were missed.

Christine

ChristineR
20-01-2006, 2:47 AM
Hi again Dorothy, I just checked the NSW online index (free) for births for children to your couple between 1856 and 1870. They did not have children registered there during that time. Also, no children to a Donald nor Hugh MELVILLE. It is probably only co-incidence that the George Hugh Melville is around the same age - unless you have reason to believe yours may be called George. (There were births registered to George H Melville and Catherine during this same period)

I have a friend with Victoria and South Australian indexes - mother's maiden names are recorded, just as well as McKAY and MACKAY are extremely popular names. I will get her to have a look.

Christine :)

ChristineR
23-01-2006, 1:23 PM
Digger - Great War Index. Victoria 1914-1920

Surname: MELVILLE
Given Names: Donald
Event: D
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: Melville Donald
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Margt JOLLY
Age Code:
Birth Place:
Death Place: Bwk N
Year: 1919
Reg. Number: 639
----------------------------
Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888

Surname: MELVILLE
Given Names: Donald
Event: D
Spouse Surname/Father: Unknown
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother:
Sex:
Birth Place: SUTH (I imagine this might mean Sutherland)
Death Place:
Year: 1857
Reg Number: 403
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

My friend found these two entries, but no sign of your couple. There was also a marriage of a Donald MELVILLE born Aberdeen in 1871 (to a Catherine McKAY from Bath)

:)

Dorothy
24-01-2006, 7:42 PM
My MELVILLE link in Scotland sent lots of info. regarding this George Hugh MELVILLE and it appears that his parents are John MELVILLE and Jane McKAY.Sutherland is his birthplace but no town mentioned. He died in 1911 aged 76. In newspaper accounts it shows him as assistant harbourmaster , his retirement party and gifts given along with resume of his life as a master mariner ; In NSW shipping news he was the captain of the " Pegasus" with 65 tons of coal in the ballast. The informant on his death cert. was his daughter Mrs. F. Hamilton 96 Marian St., Evansore ( sp?) Wife of 28 years was Catherine McKINNON and children were Jeanne aged 47 , George Hugh aged 43 , Florence 41 , John 39 all living and one female deceased. Marriage in Newcastle , NSW....all info. on burial cert.

Dorothy

ChristineR
25-01-2006, 5:40 AM
Did your contact have a marriage for him? According to this info...

http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

a NSW marriage after 1856 could have both parents named (inc mother's maiden name) This isn't always guaranteed, as some of the ministers didn't bother. Death certificates can mislead, but it could well be right too :D

My friend found no evidence of Catherine and James anywhere. If they were here then they would have been likely to have children.

Christine

Dorothy
28-01-2006, 8:32 PM
Hi Christine,

George Hugh m. Catherine McKINNON on July 07 , 1863 in NSW . Apparently Catherine was b. abt. 1843 in Invernessshire and d. 31st Dec. , 1929 in Petersham , NSW

Since Catherine & James married " older" than usual for those days maybe they didn't have children as none were found in Scotland.

Thank you very much , Christine for your help . I really appreciate it :-)

Jenny Butler
01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Dorothy,

Hate to throw a spanner in the works butfound these on NSW death Index.

Caroline E MCKAY died 1888 - Bathurst. Parents James & Catherine MCKAY.
Reg # 6972/1888
JAmes MCKAY died Liverpool 1897 - Parents JAmes & Catherine MCKAY.
Reg # 8695/1897

Do you know either parents of James or Catherine - just there are many (James & catherine's) on the index! It is possible they were not registered ( my tree has a few of those). Just another thought.
Jenny

Dorothy
10-02-2006, 1:31 AM
James ' parents were James McKAY and Mary McLEAN of West Helmsdale , Sutherland,

Catherine's parents were John MELVILLE and Jane nee McKAY also of Loth parish , Sutherland

Dorothy

Dorothy
08-08-2006, 8:36 PM
Yes, Catherine MELVILLE"s parents were John MELVILLE and Jane nee McKAY and James ' parents lived in the same area of Sutherland ...West Helmsdale or Loth depending on registration and parents of James were James McKay and Mary nee McLean
Dorothy after an enforced break