PDA

View Full Version : Finding William Lilley

InaG
18-01-2006, 1:47 PM
If anyone can help. I am trying to trace my Ggrandfather William Lilley born in Islington Middlesex, 1836. All I know is that he married a Martha Tann (nee White) from Scarborough and, after living in Scarborough they moved to Middlesbrough where my Grandfather was born.
Thanks

Trish
18-01-2006, 5:26 PM
...trying to trace my Ggrandfather William Lilley born in Islington Middlesex, 1836... ...married a Martha Tann (nee White) from Scarborough and, after living in Scarborough they moved to Middlesbrough where my Grandfather was born...Do you have any census information on your great grandfather?

I think the following must be him with his wife and family in 1871:

1871 Census: RG10/4890 Folio 47 Page 29
Address: 5 Cross [or could be Crop] St., Middlesborough, Durham

William LILLEY Head Mar 35 Blast furnace Labourer [born] Islington St Marys Parish
Martha Do Wife mar 37 [born] Yorkshire Scarborough
Robert Do Son 11 Scholar [born] Do Do
William Do Son 5 Scholar [born] Do Do
Martha Do Dau 4 Scholar [born] do Middlesboro
Emily Do Dau 7 mon [born] Do Do

HTH,
Trish

InaG
18-01-2006, 7:11 PM
Thank you Trish. I had found info on him from the 1881 census, which showed him living in Middlesbrough and my Grandfather was shown as his youngest child. I am trying to trace William's family, but any info. on any of them is more than welcome.
thanks again.
InaG

Peter Goodey
18-01-2006, 8:22 PM
I'd say that was jolly useful (actually I'd use a different word from jolly;) ). You now have a parish name as well as a district. Don't you feel the baptism register of St Mary Islington winking and beckoning to you?

Trish
18-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I'd say that was jolly useful (actually I'd use a different word from jolly;) ). You now have a parish name as well as a district. Don't you feel the baptism register of St Mary Islington winking and beckoning to you?It's definitely winking at me! And I'm not even looking for these folks!

InaG, I know you're tracing William's family but -- on a side track -- do you have the following? I think this must be your Martha in 1861...

1861 Census: RG9/3618 Folio 49 Page 5
Address: 1 Barry's Passage, Scarborough [St. Thomas Parish], Yorkshire

Martha Tann Head Wid. 21 Fishermens [sic] Widow [born] Yorks Scarbro
George Do Son 3 [born] Do Do
Robert Do Son 1 [born] Do Do

Trish

InaG
19-01-2006, 1:54 PM
It's definitely winking at me! And I'm not even looking for these folks!

InaG, I know you're tracing William's family but -- on a side track -- do you have the following? I think this must be your Martha in 1861...

1861 Census: RG9/3618 Folio 49 Page 5
Address: 1 Barry's Passage, Scarborough [St. Thomas Parish], Yorkshire

Martha Tann Head Wid. 21 Fishermens [sic] Widow [born] Yorks Scarbro
George Do Son 3 [born] Do Do
Robert Do Son 1 [born] Do Do

Trish
Trish,
You are wonderful.. Yes, that does sound like his wife Martha (in fact yes I will be defiinite it is). The census record I found for them was 1881 and showed Robert (stepson) as a seaman. Her maiden name was White and now you have confirmed she was born in Scarborough it gives definite avenues to follow. I can also start tracing William now I know the Parish etc that he was born in.
Thank you very much, you are brilliant
Ina