PDA

View Full Version : Strictly speaking not Napoleonic War but...?

Maud Jarvis
23-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I could not see anywhere else to post this question, but as the ancestor concerned, was a soldier during that period of time, thought I might as well post my query here?

One of my ancestors BENJAMIN HARRIS was a soldier with the 14th Reg of Foot, he asked for discharge after serving for 28 years, because of his request, was given no pension (mean lot in those days!)

He served 15 years in the East Indies, and was mentioned as being in varioius battles, unfortunately the writing on the documents is very hard to read, and I have been unable to decipher the names, perhaps someone somewhere, has a bit of knowledge re the various battles and could advise me??

I could decipher one place mentioned, "He served in the ??? war in the DECCAN Campaign, and at the taking of ...?(beginning of word looked like H..)? and the Siege of ......?.. unable to decipher

Would the mention of Deccan relate to any of the other battles and the whereabouts??

Can anyone help? or offer any suggestion as to books etc, where I may find out about these campaigns

Gules
23-10-2004, 8:00 PM
I think you will find regiments.org a very useful site- for all matters military –exemplary in layout and information provided.

Maud Jarvis
26-10-2004, 1:16 PM
Thank for these suggestions, will try them & see what transpires