PDA

View Full Version : HEINE family

Genevieve
17-01-2006, 9:59 PM
I'm trying to do a bit of work on this the shortest branch of my tree before I have to take a break from researching family history whilst I care for my latest addition to the family due in 10 days time.

On 27 Dec 1890 Charles Bradlaugh JACOB married Caroline Sophia Mary Ann HEINE at Marylebone Register Office. Caroline's age is given as 21 years, Charles was 23 years.

Caroline's father is given as Joseph Andrew HEINE deceased a cabdriver.

I have not yet been able to locate a birth certificate for Caroline.

In the 1881 census there is a family living in St. Pancras as follows:

HEINE Joseph, Head born about 1854 in Islington occupation cabdriver
HEINE Annie, Wife born about 1854 in St Pancras
HEINE Caroline, Daughter born about 1870 in St Pancras

I cannot find this family unit in the 1871 census but there is this entry:

HEINE Richard, Head born about 1847 (age 24) in Hammersmith occupation cabman
HEINE Ann, Wife born about 1853 (age 18) in St Pancras
HEINE Caroline, Daughter born about 1869 (age 2) in St Pancras

I have not been able to find a marriage for a Joseph or a Richard HEINE to Ann(ie) around the time of Caroline's birth. It strikes me that Ann(ie) would have been very young if the ages are correct.

I have not found any trace of Joseph or Richard in any earlier census and I do not have a maiden name for Ann(ie).

I have tried the following surname variants HINE, HAINE, HEINZ.

Any thoughts?

Genevieve
22-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi

Hope it is not poor etiquette to bump this posting back up. It's just that I usually manage to get at least one response to my postings - any thoughts this time round?

Gen

PS - new addition referred to in original post arrived a week early, a girl who sleeps much more than her brothers ever did hence I am back online!

ClaireDigs
23-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi Genevieve, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

I have had a quick look for you on BMD - a fresh pair of eyes comes in useful sometimes!! Though not sure how useful mine are to you!

OK, I have found these details, though not specific I'm afraid.
1871 4th quarter - Heine (Female) Pancras 1 b 84

I hope you find Caroline - sorry I couldn't be more help to you, I know how frustrating it is!!

Best of Luck, Claire.

Genevieve
24-03-2006, 2:05 PM
Thanks Claire - another set of eyes is always useful (actually at the moment another set of hands would be great too with three under-5's, in fact I could do with cloning myself! What am I complaining about? I'm finding time to be on this forum aren't I?).

Thanks very much for the info. and for the tip to search just on surname. It looks promising and I think I'll order the cert to see who the parents are and if they fit.

The census details are still confusing though. I've looked at the images and it isn't a case of poor transcription.

Thanks again,

Gen

Ron Leech
25-03-2006, 6:56 AM
Caroline's father is given as Joseph Andrew HEINE deceased a cabdriver.

Have you looked for the death of Joseph Andrew HEINE? I am always a little wary when the bride is just 21 and her father deceased, perhaps she was a little younger and the father was still alive and not aware of the marriage?

Genevieve
15-04-2006, 5:57 PM
Many thanks Claire. I today received the birth cert for 'female' HEINE. The parents are Andrew HEINE cab driver and Annie HEINE formerly COULSTON. I have also found on FreeBMD a marriage in 1868 between Anne COULSON and Andrew HINE.

Interestingly there is a family living in the same house as Richard and Ann HEINE in the 1871 census consisting of a Caroline ANGELL and two children with the surname COULSON. Maybe Caroline ANGELL was Anne COULS(T)ON's mother and when she eventually gave her daughter a name she named her after her?

Lot's to look in to. Thanks again.

Genevieve
15-04-2006, 7:07 PM
Have you looked for the death of Joseph Andrew HEINE? I am always a little wary when the bride is just 21 and her father deceased, perhaps she was a little younger and the father was still alive and not aware of the marriage?

I haven't looked for the father's death but looks like your hunch about her age was right - seems she was only 19.

Ron Leech
15-04-2006, 7:11 PM
It good when it starts coming togther. I find the most difficult people to deal with are those I am most closely related to. It is easier to be more objective when you are more detached and so not involved.

Genevieve
15-04-2006, 9:47 PM
Just found a death on FreeBMD for an Andrew Joseph HEINE in 1881 in Pancras apparently aged 37 whereas the man I'm looking for would seem to be aged 27 from the other information I have. Looks a likely candidate though given the relative rarity of the surname - maybe she told the truth about her father if not her age...

Ron Leech
16-04-2006, 9:18 AM
It would be worth buying the certificate just to complete the picture for that chap.

Genevieve
16-04-2006, 2:14 PM
It would be worth buying the certificate just to complete the picture for that chap.

I've ordered the certificate. I've not bothered with death certificates so far but I know they can give some useful clues. My Mum, whose gt grandfather he is, is away in China at the moment, it will be good to have some new info for her when she gets back.