PDA

View Full Version : grandfather

joyce van der hoeven
17-01-2006, 9:55 AM
good morning to you all
alady sent me acopy of my grandad being in the 1918 war.now i dont no what the two first names are and this is what it says
in memory of serjeant m b morgan
651053,21bn,london regiment
first surrey riffles
who died 14 november 1918
remembered with honour
new southgate cemetery
now someone has looked for amedal card but didnt have the time to go thru it all,and he said my grandad should have had one,my grandads first two names were malcolm bonner morgan
can anyone help me with this thank you
joyce from holland

joette
17-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi Joyce this sounds like an entry from the CWGC.It often doesn't give the full name only the initials but sounds like you have the right one if you try CWGC for yourself & type in the info you will be able to see what is printed there. Some medal cards are aviable at Kew but you have to search in person or pay somebody else to do so.
Sorry I don't speak Dutch so I hope you understand my English!

Geoffers
17-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Some medal cards are aviable at Kew but you have to search in person or pay somebody else to do so.
The medal card index can be searched online
U kan (de/het?) Medal Card Index hier zien
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Geoffers
17-01-2006, 11:37 AM
His death certificate may give some useful information. Use this information
Zijn sterfgeval getuigschrift kan helpen. Gebruik deze informatie.....

Quarter (kwartier)- December
Year (Jaar) - 1918
Name (Naam) - MORGAN Malcolm B
Age (hoe oud) - 45
District (streek) - Camberwell
Volume (boek nummer) - 1d
Page (bladzijde) - 1732

and order his certificate from here.
en betaal zijn getuigschrift hier
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Geoffers
(Vergeef mij als't u belieft, het is lange tijd sinds ik in Nederlands of Belgie was)

Peter Goodey
17-01-2006, 1:57 PM
This appears to be his birth: -

Births Jun 1872:-
Morgan Malcolm Bonner Islington 1b 301

From the census, his parents were Andrew B Morgan and Louisa.

There is a "suspicious" marriage: -

Marriages Sep 1868: -
MORGAN Andrew BENNETT Islington 1b 567

and

Marriages Sep 1868: -
BONNER Louisa Islington 1b 576

Possibly a clerical or transcription error? I'd follow it up if it were mine.

Translation please, Geoffers!!!

joyce van der hoeven
17-01-2006, 7:19 PM
hello all
thank you for your replys,i dont speak dutch i was born in liverpool,regarding my grandads parents i have there married cert of andrew bennet morgan who was married to louisa bonner in islington 1868,also have the marrage cert of malcolm bonner morgan to helen tyler 1892,but cant understand parish ,but the distict is holborn
regards
joyce

Geoffers
17-01-2006, 8:10 PM
The National Archives (TNA) at Kew have a good web-site. It includes numerous research guides and information sheets. One of these is for he entitlement to medals in WW1

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

I see that the 1881 census shows Malcolm Bonner Morgan was born about 1872. By the outbreak of war he would have been in his 40's. Others with greater knowledge than I may be able to give better advice; but I suppose it is just possible that a 40-odd year old man, who might not have been in prime health, may possibly have served the war in some form of administration in England and thus not been entitlted to the campaign medals.

His death certificate will show whether he died from wounds, poor health, or whatever. If his service record has survived it will be held at TNA, Kew.

Geoffers

joyce van der hoeven
20-01-2006, 10:03 AM
hello geoffes
i have just found aprint out what someone had sent meon the top its got
casualty details
name morgan
initials mb
rank serjeant
regiment london regiment first surrey riffles
unit text 21bn
service number 651054
casualty type commonwealth war dead
grave/memorial L1720
cemetery new southgate cememtery
so do you think it is my g.father

Geoffers
20-01-2006, 1:27 PM
I would think it very likely that this refers to your grandfather. If you look back through the messages in this trhead; you'll see that my second message gives the reference from the General Register Office (GRO) death index, namely:

December 1918
MORGAN, Malcolm B, aged 45
Camberwell. Vol 1d, Page 1732

The certificate will give his occupation, which will hopefully be 'Sergeant 651054, 1st Surrey Rifles.' or something very similar.

So to make sure that the entry you quoted, which is from http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx is correct,
I suggest that you order the death certificate from:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Geoffers

joyce van der hoeven
22-01-2006, 9:18 AM
goodmorning to you all
just to let you know have sent for my granfather,malcolm bonner morgan daeth cert ,and will let you know what it says when it arrives,thank you all for your help,regards joyce

joyce van der hoeven
02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
hello all
i have just recieved the death cert of my grandfather and it reads as follows
14 nov 1918,203 camberwell,new road
malcolm bonner morgan,male,45yrs
staff sergernt,ist surrey riffles,651053,accountant
cause of death
a,anunmona,4days
2,cardic failure
morphin ceitified by,j w coles
signature of informant
jenny bradley,present at death
230 camberwell,new road
registered 16nov 1918
is this ahospital and was jenny bradley anurse
thank you for your help.joyce

joyce van der hoeven
04-02-2008, 7:50 AM
good morning all
my cousin sent me photo of our g.father Malcolm bonner morgan in full military uniform he was warrant officer and the sergeant major(only one per battalion,and the uniform is between 1902-1915,just thought i would let you know about the results i had
Joyce

Geoffers
04-02-2008, 9:22 AM
Thanks for the update Joyce, glad to know you managed to get somewhere with this.

joyce van der hoeven
07-05-2008, 9:12 AM
GoodMorning All
would just like to tell you i made contact with acousin after 64yrs and she sent me alovely photo of my grandfather in full miltary uniform but it on the war forum and hes warrant officer and the only sergant major of the battalion was so please as i had never seen photo of my grandfather as he died in 1918
regards joyce